windows unable to format my hd

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by urmama, Jul 16, 2006.

1. urmama

urmama Uh Burrito? OT Supporter

it's a wd 160g with 3 partitions. 2 of them are working fine and the other one all of sudden crashed i guess :dunno: anyhow, i tried formating it with xp and it goes all the way toward the end and gives me a error message that windows was unable to format. any ideas or suggestions??

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The first part of the formatting process is clearing all of the data off the partition. Then, at the very end, the formatter creates a table of contents to store a record of all the files that will eventually be in the partition. Since you get almost all the way to the end before the format craps out, I'm going to guess that there's something wrong with the multi-partition layout that's keeping Windows from being able to create a new table of contents. Backup all the data on the drive and rebuild it from scratch. Yeah it's a pain, but it ought to fix the problem.

Besides, if one partition just failed, how much longer do you think the other partitions are going to last?

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well, you could try deleting the partition first, and then recreating the partition andthen formatting.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Download, burn, and run Seagate SeaTools.

possible bad hdd.