Windows Taskbar Look

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Repentinus, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

I've seen pictures of taskbars that look different. Instead of a green start button, its a gray round button with the windows logo. And the quick launch button looks different. I tried searching for themes online, to no avail.

Anyone know where I might find em?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

3. A Cow

A Cow OT Supporter

:akward:

4. Cam

Cam New Member

5. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

6. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Wait, so you're wondering how to make XP look like this?

[​IMG]

Umm, I think Microsoft is going to come out with a new operating system that they want to replace XP, it is going to look something like that....... . ..

7. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

Missing the sidebar :p

[​IMG]

8. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

Thanks all....wasn't looking for the whole desktop...just the taskbar. I didn't realize that it was vista I was looking at. The picture I saw didn't show any significant difference from XP other than the taskbar itself. No Aero Glass or anything.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you want to have this without getting rid of XP or having to install an alternate shell (which NEVER works well), buy WindowBlinds from StarDock.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you are a fucking MORAN. Aston uses more ram and it's an unstable piece of shit.

11. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

I have screenshots taken but I need to reconnect my router to that computer... long story their (and no that PC does nto mess it up)

works 100% for me no problems and the computer is up for days on end.

Anyway, I will post the pictures later tonight when I get home from work. anyway the pictures will show Aston is using about 6,000k and Explorer is using about 12,000k

And both pictures are taken right after start up, after letting it sit for 30seconds-1minute after everything loads.

now they both vary depending on what your doing but they are normally 2000-8000 apart from one another.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  12. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

I've never had Aston not fuck up on me in the end, it's a weird piece of software. Cool for a while, but always back to a standard desktop as it inevitably shits itself.

13. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

aston itself is a great piece of software. the skins are what can screw everything up becuase they each utilize different amount of resources.

I guess I got lucky in the one I selected. and who knows, maybe it is just a bit more stable in windows 2000 then XP. I personally hate XP i have never had a good experence with it. always fucking up in some way, shape, or form. idk, i guess I just know how to tame win2kpro, but XP is a wild bitch...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  14. deusexaethera

Then there's little point in recommending that someone use Aston for its skinning capability, no?

15. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

Yes and No, 1 thing i saw I made a mistake with was I said "price" instead of "Piece"

And as I ment is the Skins are the things that can make the difference in the amount of ram that is used.

Every skin you would want to set up to work best with your computer, changing the shortcuts around, customizing everything to suit your needs but you already do that with every other PC out their that you buy or aquire.

There are skins that cause so many problems with aston, but most of the skins that I have tryed are for the most part flawless, and if I find a problem in a skin that I like, I just take that part of it out because aston is very customizable.

Anyway, Each to his own. This is what works for me, all I can do is speak from the experence that I have from my own computer, I can not say how it will work on everyone elses computers.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  16. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

Here we go. Now I was a little off with the differences between aston.exe and explorer.exe astonuses about 2000k less, but all in all when I run Aston compaired to Explorer my whole computers system resources are using 30,000K less then explorer run, take a look

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. deusexaethera

Interesting. Aston had thus far used 8x the CPU Time of explorer.exe. I wonder why; the transparency maybe?

18. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

could be, there is alot more that aston has to load on the fly compaired to explorer as you can see. or i was just a bit slower in getting the screenshot...

but yea in PC time 7 seconds of difference could be a big difference.

but 7 seconds more of start time doesnt bother me with the better visuals and over all better user friendly base for how I have it set up for on my TV

I normally just start the PC up and come back to it about 5 minutes later.