Windows Server 2003 or Novell?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Silent, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Silent

Silent New Member

Which would you use for small business consisting of about 15 pc's :dunno:

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Is this business going to grow?

Novell, but not until they release all of their netware services to run on Linux. :naughty:

3. Silent

Silent New Member

No, business will probably be staying the same. We're running windows xp on all the pc's so keep that in mind ;)

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

NDS is alot easier to maintain than Active Directory.

If it is going to be 15 people, you might just want to see what you can do with linux and samba.

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

how so? I'm curious becuase I haven't worked with netware since 2.x (been totally microsoft from NT4 on up since) and it was a real pain to work with IMO.

And really also for 15 people, depending on what tasks the server will be handling you may not have too much maintainance to worry about anyways. Unless you're using it as a mission-critical file and app server, and making constant changes in user privledges and accounts, its not all that bad with Active Dir.

6. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I've never used Novell, so I'd say Windows Server 2003. :big grin:

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You know for 15 people, NT Server is good enough. I've hemmed and hawed about Windows 2000 Server - I hate AD - but there was some features I just had to have. But what I hate about AD/NT5 is:

- Domain servers. The box is gone, the account still exists. GET THE FUCK OFF MY AD! I don't want to have to run a goddamn dos prompt to get rid of a fucking machine that doesn't exist!
    - Promoting and demoting. Maybe I'm an idiot but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this with ease. NT4 was simple - you just chose the machine you wanted to promote and the PDC automatically was demoted - with AD there's like a power struggle going on.

Again, I didn't spend a lot of time trying to resolve these issues, but because in NT4 it was so simple and intuitive I got frustrated with NT5. Right now I don't have a BDC because I'm concerned that if I promote it, I'll never be able to demote it again! lol