windows on an sd card Q

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by piratepenguin, Mar 18, 2009.

1. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I've seen guides for this and it's possible, but, if I have windows on an sd card could I boot it on different computers? I want this mostly to boot on my eee pc and on vmware/virtual box. Yes, I know I can just put an image on there, but I actually could do without the overhead of having ubuntu and windows running sometimes. Also it would be too cool to be able to boot my windows install on any computer without vmware being installed. Too cool that microsoft probably fucked it up with it's activation crap . . . Windows will know its running on different hardware. What will it do and is there anything I can do about it?

By buying windows do I get a few activations? I can't activate 2 computers and switch around, no?

2. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Ummm...
    I have never heard of someone doing this before.
    BESIDES activation I would think there would be significant problems with the registry and drivers.

Activation... you could do it with 2 computers. But push that number any higher and it would all fall down.

3. correct, after two, you have to call them to activate it. i have never heard of putting it on a sd card either, drivers would be a nightmare...

4. OFI

OFI New Member

I'm guessing XP Corporate could get around the activation issue :dunno:

Trying to install it on a USB memory stick myself although failing so far :hs:

Got an error during the install saying the drive couldn't be accessed to install, going to try another drive later.

Drivers shouldn't be too much of a problem (at least for basic functions/hardware) as the Live CDs cope.

Here is the guide I have been following http://www.ngine.de/article/id/8

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Basically what he wants is a Windows LiveCD. Maybe he'll have better luck finding info if he searches for that.

6. OFI

OFI New Member

LiveCDs are obviously read only though..