Windows Messenger

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lolerskates, Dec 31, 2006.

1. lolerskates

lolerskates New Member

Heres the deal, at work they have some kinda network set up on windows messenger, you can only add others from that network. Well I want to sign in with my hotmail account so I can talk to my friends from my pc at work. There is no option to sign in with a passport. If I try to install msn it tells me I have to uninstall messenger first and it won't let me do that.

What can I do? Can I some how bypass the admin crap and uninstall messenger? Anyone have any ideas or 3 party programs I can use? I tried Trillian but the program needs to have a proxy option that you can configure so it will work through the proxy I run through.

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

BTW, you are the reason that they put that "admin crap" on to the network. It's so much easier to give people unrestricted access to people but people abuse it.

4. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Do what they pay you to do.

5. lolerskates

lolerskates New Member

I do more than what they pay me to do, and I still have a lot of free time

6. lolerskates

lolerskates New Member

no shit, but my question wasn't why do they put admin shit on my work pc? last time I checked

7. 5Gen_Prelude

I'm sorry, you're right. You were asking to circumvent a security measure.

:lockd:

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

He's not compromising his office's security by logging into his personal IM account. I see it all the time; people ask their friends for help with stuff, or chat on their lunch break. Not allowing that is the same as not allowing personal calls from office phones -- it's just not practical, and any regulation that everybody violates probably should be gotten rid of anyway.

You need to dig around in the Windows Messenger options and find the screen that lets you select which types of networks you want to connect to. Select ".NET", give it your Passport info, and try to log in again.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

Actually it can be. Remember the AOL viruses distributed through IM? Not to mention that you can control a computer via MSN Messenger, exchange files. All of which CAN be a security breach depending on how anal you want to be and how sensitive the information on your network is.

My biggest problem is that he IS asking to circumvent something they have gone out of their way to implement - if they didn't care, they wouldn't have locked it down so tight. Just because you haven't worked in an environment where security is of the utmost importance, doesn't mean it's not out there.

Don't get me wrong - I don't care - but I won't help someone try to undo someone else's policy

10. deusexaethera

You're quite right that he could be working in a place where security is extremely important, but he could just as easily be working in a place where the boss is a paranoid Type-X personality who thinks everybody's trying to slack off all the time, or who is convinced that "hackers" are actively targeting his business and trying to ruin it. (I work for the 3rd type of company. Our CEO actually believes that our network is compromised just because he gets spam in his inbox.) In the first scenario, his attempts to use his personal Windows Messenger account will get him fired. In the second and third scenarios, there probably isn't enough actual monitoring of the system for anyone to notice the extra bit of outbound network traffic, and he'd be fine if he's smart enough to keep quiet about it.

11. lolerskates

lolerskates New Member

I work for a big company that is world wide, and I am head of security at this facility :mamoru:
    I just use it to talk to my gf and a few friends here and there, or sometimes my roomate will need to ask me something and instead of calling me it is easier just to send an im. I use web messenger, ebuddy, and meebo for now, but it would be much nicer to just use windows messenger instead of having firefox open all day. They used to have an option to log in with your .net, you just had to know the proxy settings, but I think they did away with that this last update so I might be screwed on this whole idea now anyways. I wish I had admin privleges, there is a lot of programs I would like to use at work to help me out, mostly reminder programs. Plus I have enough knowledge to keep up maintenance with the software. There are a ton of out of date drivers on here that need updated but you need to have admin privledges to do it. I tried to get those privledges once but they wouldn't give them to me.

12. deusexaethera

Heh. Yeah, okay, you're screwed. The head of IT will never give you admin privileges, because then you could go balls-out with the security protocols. I'm not a big fan of stovepiping, but it does come in handy from time to time.

13. Nucleartiger

Nucleartiger Clemson makes my nipples hard

My company just added that messenger crap here as well. It is supposed to be a better way to communicate with other workers on the network because it keeps everyone on the same "page" as far as communications systems go.

14. deusexaethera

It's a good system. We use it at my office too. We have employees scattered all over the USA, and a couple in Antarctica, and it's real handy to be able to chat with them whenever we need to.

15. Nucleartiger

Nucleartiger Clemson makes my nipples hard

I am sure that it works well for those that need to use it but when I am stuck at work at 2am and want to chat with some friends to pass the time it kinda blows.

16. deusexaethera

Do you have free night/weekend cellphone minutes?