Windows media player

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SleepnZJ, Jun 15, 2003.

1. SleepnZJ

SleepnZJ That's not my ring, that's my watch

So I downloaded another video today (AVI) that when I open it with WMP it say downloading codec, then error downloading codec then plays the file with sound only. I use to let it slide but now it's just really pissing me off. I eve tried to play the file on a quick time and a GDiVX player. WTF? Is there a no hassle player out there?

2. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

Yes there is and it's called VideoLan Client http://www.videolan.org/

This thing is amazing it will play any movie file there is. Dvix, Xvid, AC3, etc cetera. It is an opensource development and there are still bugs so you will notice a huge (more like complete) drain on your cpu when you are using it. If you run into trouble when fastfowarding/seeking, press space bar to pause it and then right click to access the controls. That's the only way it would work on my machine because of the drain I mentioned which rendered the buttons useless.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2003
  3. event::woer

event::woer Βanned bу Suρer Mοderators

that link is to a christian church

4. D3aC0n

D3aC0n Vesa ToskaLOL OT Supporter

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:rofl: Damn those churches stealing all the good computer domains... I remember when I was doing a lot of CGI scripting going to cgi.org several times not remembering it was Church of God International.

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

:rofl: :rofl:

To get back tot he original question: Find a program called gspot, it will look at the AVI file and tell you specificaly what codec you need to play it. From there you can go out and download it.

7. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

I've made the appropriate changes.

http://www.videolan.org/

The problem is, many codecs refuse to play nicely. I've had xvid/divx work fine, but if a file required AC3 audio codec or Nimo pack then it starts to look like a big green blob. Trying to find remedies to these almost requires a PHD in cryptography.

Seriously folks, there hasn't been a solution so complete like VideoLan Client.

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties