Windows Media Player will no longer play most of my movies

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mrburner, Dec 27, 2003.

1. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i have no idea what i installed that would have done this
    i have the latest version of divx pro and windows media player 9

basically one day all of my downloaded tv shows and other various movies stopped working in windows media player...they also stopped working in winamp and every program that normally would play these videos except for divx player

when you have windows on thumbnail view with videos, it will show the first frame of the video...well now only some of them do that, and even some of the ones that show the first frame don't work

everything works in the divx player but i am not a huge fan of it

i have tried reinstalling divx, downloading another version of divx called nimo and installed that and it didn't work...tried updating media player

this is on a pentium 4 2.4ghz w/ 1024mb ram, a geforce4 w/ 64mb and windows xp pro...if you need any more info, let me know

thanks

2. MP

MP New Member

they don't just stop working for no reason what-so-ever (99% of the time). You had to of downloaded/installed/changed SOMETHING.

3. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i agree with you completely...the problem is that i don't remember what i installed at all

the only thing i remember recently is the most recent windows update but i'm not sure if that was right before this started happening...i have also been fiddling with the drivers for my soundcard because it is a creative card so i have the devldr.exe or whatever it is

4. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

nope, still can only play them with the divx player

5. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

well i freshly formatted it not too long ago and everything had been running perfect...i go to school in ohio and live in arizona so i just got home about 2 weeks ago for winter break...once i got home, i'm sure i have installed a bunch of stuff, but the computer hasn't really been running incredibly well

it has been running pretty well but like windows explorer will occasionally lock up which never used to happen...as in just browsing folders that are on my hard drive, i will click on one and have to leave it for a good 60 seconds before anything shows up...if i click on it within that 60 seconds, it will give me the end now box saying that it is not responding

also i tried installing this icon pack program that in actuality screwed up all of my icons...it turns out that this program is for earlier machines to have windows xp icons so when i uninstalled it, it took all of my windows xp icons with it as well as the trasparency feature on the desktop...i use a custom icon set anyways so that doesn't matter too much but losing the transparency is kinda annoying...i am currently using a program called iconoid to get the transparency back but when explorer crashes, my desktop also resets itself so the icons text is not transparent

this is more of an annoyance than anything

also i have an 80gb drive as my master and a 200gb as my slave that was partitioned into 4 basically 50gb sections and now the partitions are magically gone...the first partition (the only one that i actually had data on) is still 50gb but the others are 6gb each with unallocated space according to partition magic...since the drive is extended, partition magic cannot partition more than like 136gb (or whatever the windows limit is)

those are all the problems i can think of right now offhand

let me know if you know of any solutions

6. this happened to me to

7. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

8. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

fixed. and me too

i installed so much crap on one computer that i have no idea what broke mp9, but it stopped working on that machine. same files would play fine on other machines. i removed all codec packages i had installed, and either reinstalled mp9 or uninstalled and reinstalled (don't recall) and it works now.