Windows Manager: KDE vs. Gnome

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bakinbits, Aug 9, 2003.

1. bakinbits

bakinbits -This Space for Rent-

It seems that the most popular linux window managers are gnome and kde. I'm curious which you guys use, and WHY! I know how the linux world and opinions can be, so I'm looking for reasons, facts, and/or gripes about why or why not to use one or the other. I've searched around on google and have only come across developers' pages and mailing lists.

Currently, I'm stuck. I like KDE but I have some things that I dislike about it. I feel the same about Gnome.

I think KDE has too many integrated features and goes away from the 'open' look/feel that linux promises and gnome seems to be too feature-less and I can't find how to change simple themes (maybe too gtk driven?).

I'm not new to the linux scene, but I am new to the window manager forum. I'm a command line kinda guy so I haven't been able to follow up on this madness.

Comments pleeeeze. Thanks.

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I much prefer Gnome, I find it to be more advanced-user-oriented (maybe that's another name for featureless ;)). I personally really hate anything other than a simple grey theme (too busy and resource-wasting), so the lack of themes doesn't bug me much.

My Gnome desktop

But really, it's different strokes for different folks. Try a bunch out (maybe even some that aren't KDE or Gnome :eek3: ) and see what you decide you like using best. That's really what matters.

Edit: Can't see my actual desktop in that picture, so here's one where you can.

Edit2: Also, I'm sure KDE has changed a lot since I seriously used it :dunno:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2003
  4. bakinbits

bakinbits -This Space for Rent-

I agree with both of you... I'm sooo torn! :hs:

5. chsbla

chsbla New Member

Where did you get that desktop, link to the orginal background? -Penguin Man

6. Penguin Man

Original picture is here.. I made it into a background myself, I'll post it up on my site here (link not working right now, since my site seems to be down. If I forget to post it, remind me sometime and I will.)

7. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Holly cow PM, you can you look at that background? It is making me sea sick. ;)

But you are listening to Tool, :cool:.

8. Penguin Man

Heh, I hardly ever see my desktop, it usually looks more like the first shot there than the second shot.