Windows loads up, then black screen

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awns729, Jun 7, 2008.

1. awns729

awns729 New Member

Blue logon screen, icons appear, startup programs begin to start up and then blank screen.
    Tried fixmbr, fixboot, chkdsk /r
    Safe mode works
    Ideas?

EDIT: Fixed that, but the primary monitor has a strange flickering going on

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

stop running commands for the sake of running commands. the three you listed would have ZERO chance of fixing that problem, and a possibility to fuck it up.

If safe mode works, then I would go in safe mode and disable every optional startup component, as well as uninstall your display adapter driver. reboot, and you should get a normal boot, sans a few programs and vga output.

3. awns729

awns729 New Member

thanks that got it
    i googled it, and someone had a similar problem and was suggested to do those steps, so i figured i'd try them.

4. awns729

awns729 New Member

But i'm getting a really strange flickering on the primary monitor as soon as i turn on the computer...? it used to run fine at 75hertz, now won't past 60

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

could be the monitor going out. you reinstalled the gpu drivers?

6. awns729

awns729 New Member

hm, yeah i ended up reinstalling them three times. nvidia released a software & driver update a few months ago that i installed yesterday, it also had an OCing utility. so either the OCing utility messed it up or some other software in the bundle did. I just ended up uninstalling all their crap after 3 unsuccessful reinstallations (after i posted it was wroking, it messed up twice again) and then finally reinstalling the new driver by itself. So far it's working okay, but it hasn't even been an hour yet, so we'll see.

Still running the monitor at 60hertz, but its fine for now, so whatever. It's time for a 24'' or two 19'' LCDs anyway.

Thanks.

7. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Try not OCing your GPU

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Your video card runs at a certain speed because that's the speed it's known to be stable at. You might get lucky and get a really well-made one that can go faster, but that's like ignoring the redline on your engine -- bad shit can happen very quickly if the hardware isn't as good as you hope it is.

Regarding the screens, consider replacing them with LCDs. LCDs don't flicker, and they can use DVI signals which are MUCH clearer than VGA.

9. awns729

awns729 New Member

I'm using the nvidia OCing utility. I'm not even setting the OC parameters myself. I let it choose the optimal settings for me, and then it tests to see if its stable.

I am considering getting LCDs, but the point is, they didn't flicker yesterday, why should they today, you know?

Whatever, for now it works at 60 hertz