Windows install issue

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jaysin, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Jaysin

Jaysin New Member

:wtc:
    Reinstalling Windows on my notebook. Turn the laptop off with the OS cd in, starts up and runs through all the start-up. Get around to the partition section and how I would like to install this OS, then tells me it cant find HD & HD drivers installed. Then goes to restart the pc... thoughts please? :x:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

are you using the cd that came with the laptop?

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Does your laptop have an SATA hard drive? That could do it; if you do have an SATA hard drive, go to the computer manufacturer's website, download the drivers for the SATA controller, and put them on a floppy disk. Then tell the Windows Installer to load those drivers when it asks you if you need to load any extra drivers.

4. Jaysin

Jaysin New Member

Ah, should of guess'd that one. Next problem, no floppy only usb thumb or external HD to put them on. Will that work? And load them when it ask for third party drivers?

5. deusexaethera

I don't believe so. USB memory drives use different drivers than floppy drives do. Also, USB memory drives are recognized as hard drives by the BIOS, and floppy drives aren't. Go buy a USB floppy drive; they don't cost much nowadays, and even though they're only useful in 1% of bootup SNAFUs, they're the only thing that will work that 1% of the time.

Though now that you mention it, it's kind of surprising that some enterprising computer person hasn't designed and marketed a USB memory drive that "looks" like a floppy drive to the BIOS.

6. Jaysin

Jaysin New Member

There is your ticket to rich'es :mamoru: Thanks for your help. Got it all fix'd up

:bigthumb:

7. deusexaethera

:cool:

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

actually, some do emulate floppy drives. However, this is bios-dependant as not all support this emulation over usb.

9. deusexaethera

What I mean is, there's gotta be a way to make a USB memory drive with built-in emulation circuitry, so that the BIOS isn't an issue; it sees a floppy drive, and the USB thingy works like a floppy drive, except it has 1000x more space.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

more evidence that you have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE how computers work.

By your logic, RAID cards shouldn't require drivers because they should "magically work".

Research EFI.