Windows Home Server/Media PC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mike00, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

I've been doing some research and want to setup a medic pc server. Anybody know of a really good resource for windows home server (my current plan for the OS)?

If I do go ahead and do this I want to make sure I have everything planned out from the beginning which means it's neccesary to be able to play videos and other media on 3 different floors and even my main PC also.

Need to make sure I set this up just right so if anybody knows of any good resources/websites would be great.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

All I know of it so far is that HP has some coming out in the $700 range, well equiped.

They were supposed to be out now, but there was a holdup for some reason or other.

3. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Well I was thinking of building but I'm more concerned with how to stream video/music to my home theatre and various tvs. That's the part that I really have no clue how to go about.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

If I were you I would go for 3 HTPCs, setup gigabit networking with a NAS in the back room ...

6. Lynn

Lynn Yes my wife does and no you can't watch.

I have done what you are attemping to do and I use Windows Vista Ultimate with its built in Media Server.

I am running Cat 5 10/100 in my house and it works fine while streaming to my computer downstairs. However, I have not yet ran the component cables (plan on doing that this weekend) to my televisions and connected my computer and dvr at the same time. :noes: