Windows Deployment Services

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5Gen_Prelude, Apr 4, 2008.

1. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I've been a huge fan of Ghost for years but I'm coming around to Window's version of it. Ghost is still great for one offs and emergency repairs to laptops on the road, but I'm loving WDS's ability to both capture and deploy over PXE. Not having a gigabit file for each model is a plus as well - it simply tracks the changes.

And it's free (with W2K3 of course). The W2K8 is supposed to be even better because you can support muti-casting.

The downside is that injenting LAN drivers is hardly a simple process.

Anyone else using it?

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

I've actually never heard of it...but now that you mention it I'll be sure to check it out.

3. jordanh

jordanh New Member

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but the people doing the testing on it love it. It is supposed to be much better than ADS, which is what we are using now for our windows systems. ADS is piece of crap though.

Everything we have is deployed by PXE. So much easier. All we have to do is reboot the server and wait.

4. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

I use WDS pretty often, but not for imaging rather for loading via answer files. It's useful for OEM preloading to say the least.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

Haven't used it to deploy a server, only XP so far.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

Do tell :noes:

7. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

WDS *can* be useful but i found it too limited...i was a network admin in a lab that used a WDS implementation for a multitude of reasons....answer files being one....imaging another....

in the end we found it so limited that we had to write a GUI front end that would give us the additional features we required...

btw...depending on the bootable environment you setup, you should still be able to launch ghost...we did so for backward compatibility and linux systems

another support feature we ran into was making sure that all systems using WDS had their RAID support built in on boot time....if it was not supported....nothing worked and people were pissed

8. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

We're implementing it now at the university and its awesome. We've been using Ghost for years, and it beats the shit out of Ghost all over. Now, instead of managing several dozen static ghost images, we can manage a handful of OS deployments, and a multitude of software configurations for each lab/classroom/whatever.
    If you have a big environment to manage, get it set up with SCCM and your driver loading is a snap. You just point it to the inf for the driver and it rolls the whole driver into the Out-of-box Drivers section.
    Also, if you're going to do any Vista deployment, its the only way to go. Vista was designed to work with WDS/SCCM from day one, and it shows. All the hoops you have to jump through to deploy XP are gone, the biggest one being the preload of RAID drivers.