Windows Boots to Black Screen (Tried rebuilding boot sector, boot.ini, fixmbr)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awns729, Jul 17, 2009.

1. awns729

awns729 New Member

Just as the title says, before the logon screen, a black screen appears with a cursor and it never goes away.

I tried fixmbr, fixboot and bootcfg and this
    copy K:\i386\ntldr C:\
    copy K:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\

I did some of those commands at the same time in recovery console, but shouldn't make a difference I don't think. Any ideas? Thanks

2. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

Can boot to safe mode and uninstall the video drivers?
    Have you formatted it?

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

None of the stuff you did is going to affect anything that happens after the Windows loading screen. Your video drivers are fucked, most likely. Do what Fase said.

4. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

xp pro?

5. awns729

awns729 New Member

Yeah, you're right. I reread the microsoft support page on what steps I took, and I actually misinterpreted the problem that it was for to be my own problem. It did seem a little strange that the MBR/bootsector would affect loading the desktop.

It's XP PRO and on a laptop whose ATA hard drive's pins are lose, so I can't take it out and hook it up to a IDE->USB converter because it'll probably break it (I tried this twice and it took some pin bending to get teh drive to work).

I can't uninstall the video drivers because safe mode has the same problem. So what should I do?

Also, I'm trying to avoid a reformat. And the person who asked me to fix it hasn't given me the windows CD (although it is a legal copy). I tried to do a repair install with my XP Home CD, but the option wasn't there. I can only access recovery console.

6. Hate Crime

Doesnt sound like video problem, sounds like spyware. In fact, it sounds very close to the UAC trojan.

7. awns729

awns729 New Member

hm, maybe I'll scan with the ultimate boot cd since i can't pop the hard drive out of the laptop? suggestions on what program to use?

8. Fase

Well if this is the case, it probably has something to do with the registry.

See if you can ctrl+alt+delete for task manager, and run new task explorer.exe

Check:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\currentversion\image file execution options.

for "explorer.exe" debugger. Delete it if it exists.

9. awns729

awns729 New Member

Can't open task manager :(

10. deusexaethera

try Ctrl+Shift+Esc.

11. Fase

If it's a virus it probably has task manager blocked which you can do by opening the file for reading.

Easiest method would be formatting. Backup files on the drive if possible by slaving it/usb attach/live cd and copy content/etc

You could also try making a virus scanning boot disk which I've seen before where it will boot to CD and run a virus scan. Avira makes one (http://www.free-av.com/). Or slave the drive and do a virus scan that way.

I'm not sure if it's possible but you could also try a windows XP live disk and see if you can edit the registry through that.

12. deusexaethera

Search for taskmgr.exe and change the security settings so only your user account has permission to do anything to the file at all; delete all other user accounts from the permissions list, including SYSTEM. (you can always add it back later.)

Anyway, I've had better luck with Avast! antivirus finding viruses during its bootup scan than with any other product.

13. Hate Crime

Boot to windows PE, look for files starting with the name UAC in C:\Windows, and C:\Windows\System32

14. awns729

awns729 New Member

Can I do this through something like Ultimate Boot CD?

And Hate Crime (or anyone who can answer),
    Will Windows PE work even though its XP Pro, not Vista. Googleing suggests Windows PE is for Vista.

15. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Normally when I get the black boot screen there is almost always something in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit key ... use your Boot CD with a remote registry editor to check it out ... it should just read "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe," nothing after the comma.

16. CodeX

CodeX Guest

It's not video drivers if he is getting a blinking cursor in the upper left of a black screen...

Actually... when you said nothing is on the screen but a cursor did you mean a mouse pointer or a text entry cursor?

17. Hate Crime

Anything bootable to start looking through the C drive