Windows and drivers - how to replace the driver that windows provides?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thgye, Oct 25, 2003.

1. thgye

thgye New Member

I bought a PCMCI card for my laptop that gives me 2 USB 2.0 ports. The manual says that when I put the card in, Windows should ask for a driver, and then it will detect "USB 2.0 Root Hub" and "NEC PCMCIA to USB Device". Instead, when I put in the card, Windows provides its own drivers and detects 4 "USB Root Hub Device" listed in My Computer and 2 "NEC PCMCIA.. something something"

How can I provide Windows with the driver I want to use (off the CD) so that it doesn't do this..

Thanks for the help

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Does it not work?

Anyway, you can remove the devices in the device manager and then force the drivers. But if it all works, don't bother.

3. thgye

thgye New Member

The card itself seems to work, but the external CDRW I am trying to connect through it does not.. I called Plextor tech support and they told me the problem is the card because when I connect the drive directly to the computer (USB 1.0) it works, just very slow.

But either way, I figured out how to force windows to use the driver from the cd and it appears to be working fine now.

Thanks