Windows activation failing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Aug 26, 2005.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I reloaded WinXP Home for someone today on their Dell. I used an OEM version of XP Home I slipstreamed SP2 into along with the CD key on the sticker on their computer. Windows installed fine, accepting the key. I've used this exact procedure a million times without incident. But when I went to activate it, it said the key was incorrect and prompted me to enter it again. I double checked the key and re-entered it with the same result. WTF? I've never had it do this to me.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I would try to install XP without SP2 first and see what happens.

I've done plenty of installs of XP on Dells and never had to activate, but then again we use XP Pro, not home.

Do you have the XP CD that came with the machine?

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah she has the XP Home SP1a CD but I just always use my own SP2 CD because it saves me the 30-60 min it would take to immediately install SP2 on top of it. I work on a lot of different brand machines, including tons of Dells, and its always worked just fine. I told her to try again tomorrow in case their activation server is having a bad day today. Otherwise she'll have to do a telephone activation and try reading eleventy billion digits back and forth to Apu in India. Fun.