Windows 98 SE Install- NEED EXPERT HELP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Azn_Bok_Choy, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Azn_Bok_Choy

Azn_Bok_Choy Guest

My friend tried installing Windows 98 SE, he has no OS (Operating System) in his computer and is trying to install Windows 98 SE. Could he install Windows 98 SE without an OS? and if so, how?

-He use to have windows xp, then his friend messed up his computer, and he has to go with this because his XP disk is scratched badly.

-Please help my friend.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

He should be able to boot right from the CD and away he goes. If not, he can get a WIN98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com, boot via floppy and then run the setup program.

3. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

get windows98 boot disk as mentioned above.

the hard drive will probably have to be reformatted and repartitioned since xp was on there.

for windows98se, I suggest copying all the files to a folder called win98 on your c drive so that the install and any driver/software updates in the future will not prompt for the cd.

4. Azn_Bok_Choy

Azn_Bok_Choy Guest

He has no internet usage, and when he tries to install, he gets a black screen with letters "Commander_Prop"

5. 5Gen_Prelude

Well - he's screwed then unless you can help him out.

6. Azn_Bok_Choy

Azn_Bok_Choy Guest

gah, maybe burning the stuff in www.bootdisk.com and run it on his comp should work

7. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

If he still has his old CD key he should be able to borrow someone else's Windows XP Home CD's and install it using his old CD key. (They come packaged with that case sticker for a reason.)

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Exactly what I was thinking. Or call MS and ask if he can send it back and get a new copy.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

I believe not all valid keys are valid for each CD that MS releases.

10. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Any WinXP Home key is valid for any WinXP Home CD. and if it doesn't work, then call up MS and tell them that you want to be able to use the product you paid for. This is one of the occasions where the license to use a software is not tied to ownership of the CD, but to that little sticker-ma-bob (and i think an actual certificate?).

Even my "pre-installed version" CD-key worked fine with a retail WinXP Home CD.

11. Darkwind

Darkwind Guest

If he had xp i think he might have ntfs of something like that installed on his hard drive. I think u need a partition that has MS-DOS to work windows 98

12. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

umm ya wow windows 98 se IS an operating system, so i hope if hes installing it, there isnt another on one the same partition... format c: (if you dont know how, just use a large magnet...) then go into bios and select cdrom as 1st boot, put in disk, run setup and install. then go back into bios and put floppy as first, hd as second, cdrom as third (boot sequence)

btw the large magnet was a joke... no really ... i wouldnt do it ... grrrrrrrr... ok go ahead... just dont say i didnt warn you...

13. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

windows 98 SE, whats that? :fawk: get with the times