windows 98 question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dbdraggin, Apr 11, 2005.

1. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

a friend of mine has a very old computer (packard bell) thats running 98 and its now giving her problems. everytime she starts it up the widows logo comes up then the screen turns black and says it is now safe to shut down your computer, and it wont open in safe mode either. im hardly expert but im assuming it must be a sofware issue so id like to format her hdd since she doesnt care what she loses and re-install 98. the old discs that came with the computer are probably long gone now and just in case i got 98 from a friend of mine. he tells me i need a start up floppy which he provided as well as the regular windows disc which he gave me as well. he said hes going to email me the directions on how to format the the drive and install 98 fresh but im not sure if hes gonna get back to me soon enough and he wasnt exactly sure on how to do it.

can anyone help with directions to do this?

thanks in advance!

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Boot from a Win98 floppy. It has drivers for most IDE CD-ROM drives. Issue the following commands from the A:\ prompt:

format c: /q [quick formats the C drive. Omit the /q if you want a long format where it verifies each sector can be read]
    md c:\win98 [makes folder on hard disk to hold Win98 cab files]
    copy x:\win98\*.* c:\win98 [copies Win98 cab files to that folder. x=whatever letter your CD-ROM got assiged when you booted up]
    c:
    cd\win98
    setup [starts windows setup]

I like this method because if you ever modify your Windows setup in the future, it won't ask you for the CD since the files are already on the hard disk. Once Windows is installed, good luck finding drivers for that old POS.

3. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

thanks! does this have the potential to be a big problem? since it came with 98 shouldnt all the drivers needed be already included?

does anyone else have any suggestions on how to fix this problem before i format this relic this afternoon? her computer is basically already dead but i dont wanna totally kill it off.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Windows 98 will have drivers for a fair amount of hardware. But that doesn't mean that PB used that hardware. All of the drivers for all the hardware they installed would have been on a special restore CD from PB just for that computer model. When you install a standard Windows 98, you'll probably wind up with a bunch of yellow ? in device manager. That's where the fun begins, especially if stuff is soldered down since you can't just chuck it and get a cheap replacement card with drivers. First you have to figure out what it is, then figure out where to get the drivers. That can be tough especially if the company has gone out of business or been bought three times.

5. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

thanks again... this is looking like a pain cuz i just discovered the boot disk i got was bad, had to run home and download and write a new one.