Windows 7 says hdd is almost full...but it's not

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Saluki, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Saluki

Saluki New Member

I woke up this morning to my computer telling me that my 2nd hard drive where I store all my pics, vids, and music is almost full. It's a 1.5tb drive and it said there was only 68mb of free space I know I haven't put that much stuff in there. I deleted a backup of my brother's old computer (27gb) and went back to the screen that shows the hard drives and it said I still had 68mb of free space... So I'm thinking there's a problem somewhere. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Edit- I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, 2 hard drives, the primary that Windows is on is 1tb and has plenty of space. Also I ran a disk check, it found no problems and I tried a defrag and the computer informed me that 1 wasn't needed.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Try running something like TreeSize that'll show you how big each folder is.
    Open a command window and type chkdsk /f X: (replace X for the drive letter). You'll me asked to run it on the next restart, so hit Y and restart.

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

4. Saluki

Saluki New Member

I just ran the TreeSize thing the when I look at E (hdd with the issue) it says it has a Recycle Bin and it's about 700gb. WTF is going on there lol? I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have a Recycle Bin there.

WinDirStat says the same thing...safe to just delete rogue Recycle Bin, correct?

5. Saluki

Saluki New Member

Nevermind...I grew some balls and deleted it lol. Worked great and THANKS guys for the help I appreciate it!

6. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

The drive didn't have a "rogue" Recycle Bin. Each drive in the system has it's own Recycle Bin. When you delete files, that is where the system puts the deleted files. When you open up the Recycle Bin, Windows actually shows you a composite of all the Recycle Bins on the system. Your best bet is to change the configuration of the Recycle Bin so it can't grow that large again.

7. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Don't delete the bin itself, just right-click on and select Empty

8. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    I was going to guess he had incomplete torrents loading up the drive, but this is hilarious.