Windows 7 looks pretty nice...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jan 13, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

...now that I've turned off all the new features...:coolugh:

I might've used the captionless taskbar buttons, but the only way I can do that is to enable "Always Combine Multiple Windows", which I simply will not do. Oh, and the combination launcher buttons/window buttons? Do not want.

Other than that, it's much less irritating and nitpicky than Vista is, which is an improvement. I'd like to see tabbed windows made standard across the OS, at least as an option; if I have ten Word documents open, do I really need ten window buttons on the Taskbar? No, I don't, but I also don't want to combine them into a single window button that forces me to use a right-click menu to switch between them. In fact, I don't want that more than I don't want ten window buttons. Tabs as an integral part of the Windows GUI would be nice, Microsoft.

- - -

Things I like:
    • Captionless window buttons don't take up nearly as much space on the taskbar.
    • Desktop wallpapers can finally be stretched to fill the entire screen without distorting their proportions.
    • No UAC warnings! (yet)
    • New-style categorized Control Panel is less of a pain in the ass than it is in Vista.
    Things I don't:
    • Launcher buttons that also serve as window buttons are a nice space saver in theory, but a little faint highlighted box as a "window is already open" indicator is way too subtle. Then again, maybe my opinion on this doesn't matter, because I never use taskbar shortcuts anyway; I put my shortcuts on the desktop where they belong.
    • Can't use captionless window buttons without also combining all similar windows -- which makes sense, but I'd rather have tabs than menus.
    • Day-glo default colors hurt my eyes, but I can fix that easily enough.
    • IE8 user interface sucks just as bad as IE7, mainly because it is just like IE7. Give me the option to put all the buttons in one place dammit!
    • New-style categorized Control Panel is more of a pain in the ass than the old XP style.
    • Can't switch to XP-style Start menu anymore. All I want is a list of programs, I don't care what I used recently. I don't always do the same five things!
    • Alt-Tab doesn't show window previews like it does in Vista. Is this gone for good? Bring it back!
    Things I want to see:
    • Something like OSX/KDE4's feature that temporarily zooms out and organizes all windows so I can pick the one I want, preferably as a replacement for Alt-Tab.
    • Tabs available as part of the default windowframe, instead of right-click menus to select from multiple combined windows.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i've only used it for the media center. only had one hiccup so far that resulted in a blue screen and a restart

i like the media center interface. can't get xbmc working. maybe i'll try boxee today. i think i need a codec to get mkv files playing within media center

3. Chris

Chris New Member

Outlook 07 wont connect to our exchange server on Windows 7 :(

4. dankh

dankh New Member

I have one icon on my desktop and it's name is Recycle Bin. :hsugh:

All of my shortcuts for my most frequently used programs are on the quick-launch, and I have my start menu designed to show 10 programs (instead of the default 6) and with tiny icons instead of huge ones. Quick-launch short cuts don't apply when considering what the "last 10 programs" I've used are.. so it works well. I don't understand the mentality of people who put all of their shortcuts on the desktop - other than the fact that they just don't know any better. People like.. my dad.. or my step mom.. or the secretary at work. But to do it by preference? Fuckin weird yo.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

brb, calling Steve Balmer to get this shit fixed

6. PcH

PcH Guest

Were you thinking of Windows+Tab?

7. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

Yeah I really like that about macs. The windows version where they fan out and you can scroll between them kinda... well... it kinda sucks in comparison. I NEVER use it.

8. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

Alt-Tab in Vista will give you a small box with previews of each running application.

9. deusexaethera

Does nothing on my test machine. And I like the Alt-Tab key combo better.
    Exactly. FYI, there's a Windows XP PowerToy called "Advanced Alt-Tab" or something like that, and it does the same thing. It's standard on all my machines, work and personal.

10. deusexaethera

I never saw that. Is that Vista-only right now?

11. deusexaethera

Because I don't always want it to open the program if it isn't already running. Sometimes I just want to flip through the shit I have open to see if I still want to have it open.

Maybe that isn't an issue for a lot of users, but I've had times when a double-height taskbar didn't have enough room for all the programs I had open. That doesn't happen often, but even with half as many programs as that running at once, sometimes I lose track of what I've had open all day and I need to look at it to see if it's still relevant. If I click on something on the Taskbar and it opens a new instance, that's one more thing I have to wait for and then close down.

It's a detail, but I don't like it. At least they give me the option to turn it off.

12. deusexaethera

Then I'll explain the mentality to you: the Taskbar is for tasks, i.e. things that I am doing. I don't want launcher icons taking up space on the taskbar when that space could be used for showing the tasks I'm working on, especially considering the other 95% of the screen (i.e. the desktop) is going completely unused. Why wouldn't I put my shortcuts on the desktop? It's not like that space can possibly be used for anything else. (Except widgets, I suppose, if you're kinky like that, which I'm not.)

I don't put all my shortcuts on the desktop, btw; only the ones that I know I'll use so often (like every few minutes) that it's faster to stab the Show Desktop button and then click the shortcut I need -- everything else goes in the Start menu, where it really belongs.

13. jdw

jdw New Member

Guess I'll join the other side as well. Only stuff I have on my desktop is temporary data (files, directories). Any program I use often goes in the quicklaunch - or even better - on the extra keyboard buttons I've got (I use those more than anything these days).

14. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

I'm running rocketdock for a launcher in vista.

Win-tab works with aero where it shows all open windows differntly than apt-tab.

15. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

16. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I really wish you could add specific folders to the superdock instead of that ghey library :ugh:

Yes I know you can right click it and see the folder, but that is too much work.

17. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

works fine for me :hs:

18. mondaynightmike

Well done for actually using IE8. sod that :hs:

19. mondaynightmike

I pretty much like everything, the taskbar is great

I like the fact you can click start > shut down, and not just the standby button being their by default like in vista.

Hidden programs/task bar icons are a lot better layed out, and clicking the arrow brings them in a nice window.

I quite like it shows recently opened documents in programs you use. for example photoshop you hover over it and shows what you've recently been working on.

The networking and actually picking up devices/new networks is a lot faster than vista.

things i don't like:

control pannel, when switching to "classic view" IS there really the need for 100 icons :o

This is just a quick list.

20. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

that is still something that irritates me about Vista. there were some changes that just didn't seem like they needed to be changed. like add/remove programs being changed to programs or whatever.

21. deusexaethera

Firefox + ieTab = win.

22. mondaynightmike

I went straight to google chrome :hs:

I really fucking love it, I used to use FF but since chrome come out it's my main browser :hs:

23. deusexaethera

I think the idea was to un-nest the dozens of sub-control-panels that XP has, so users could find them more easily. Unfortunately, there were so many of them when put in a single list that it actually made it harder to find what you're looking for.

This is another thing W7 does better than Vista; it has the Joe Idiot main control panels, but unlike in XP, it lists all of the sub-control-panels inside the main ones right there on the screen. I have yet to get comfortable using Vista's Joe Idiot control panels, but I was able to pick up and roll with W7's with no problem.

24. mondaynightmike

the standard layout of the control pannel is better in W7 than vista i agree.

IT is more organised and better layed out. So if you click on hardware and sound the options which follow are nicely layed out.

I really like the UAC has been changed. Although to be honest, thanks to UAC we seen a lot less issue with clients using vista than XP.

25. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

You don't multi-task. Clearly.