Windows 7 installation

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Maffy29, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

So I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate on my Thinkpad W500 and, probably like many of you, have some driver conflicts. It runs pretty good on included drivers for the most part.

So here's my question. Is it best to do a fresh install and try to find drivers (haven't found anything yet) or install Vista (I have all the drivers for that) and upgrade? Or just wait for a while until better driver support is out there.

2. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Can't you get the Vista drivers off of IBM's home page and use them for W7? I know I have done that for a few things I couldn't find specific W7 drivers for on my PC.

3. als54

als54 OT Supporter

Ya, I installed Windows 7 RC1 on my netbook (Gateway LT3103u), runs pretty good as well. I used the Vista drivers off of the drivers CD. Yes thats right it came with Vista and actually ran pretty good...

4. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

That was my original plan. Downloaded everything, but it keeps coming up with an error or some such thing. Asks me if I want to run them again with "recommended settings". I loaded the x64 W7 and used the Vista 64 drivers. Should I try it with 32bit instead?

5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

What exactly is asking you to run with "recommended settings"? A certain driver (video card, ethernet, sound, etc)???

And no, I don't think you would want to use 32 bit drivers when you have a 64 bit OS installed. Or do you menat should you reinstall with the 32 bit OS and use 32 bit drivers?? If it's the latter then it's kinda up to you. I don't think there is a huge difference in between 32 and 64. Of course if you have more than ~3GB RAM and want to use it you have to go 64.

6. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

To your first question, its asking if that is how I want to run the drivers. It appears they fail to install the first time. Doesn't seem to make a difference in the machine. Doesn't seem to work.

Yes, I was asking if I should try a 32bit install.

I do have 4GB of RAM in the machine, so thats why I loaded x64.

I read on Lenovo's website that they will be releasing Windows 7 drivers on the Windows 7 official release date. I may just wait until then.