Windows 7 and XP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coaxsist, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Coaxsist

Coaxsist Re-create... Innovate

Machine: Dell Optiplex GX270
    A couple questions pertaining to the same issue:

1. Is is possible to revert to XP without a Win7 disc?

2. Can one boot from the Windows.old folder which was created during the Win7 install?

3. Which video cards are preferred for Win7?

1.1 I don't have a disc because I downloaded and installed Win7 from the internet through DigitalRiver.

2.2 I'm not a HUGE computer person, but it would seem that since the Windows.old folder is the XP system in folder form, there might be a way to boot from it.

3.3 Right now, the Win7 OS I've downloaded and installed seems to be running swimmingly, except for the part where my display is screwy. 256 colors @ 1024x768 resolution on a monitor built for 1280x1024 and a much larger # of colors.

Thanks!

Edit: 1/24/10
    I've tried:
    Using Windows Update and Driver Detective to update video card and any other drivers.

Update:
    Turns out my shitty PC won't even support a new card. Power supply is ridiculously small: 108 watts. The smallest wattage card Best Buy had was 250. And I found out I need a PCI card. I'm just gonna buy a new comp, but thanks for your help everyone.

- K

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. thekraft

thekraft New Member

1, 2. No, at least not standard.

3. Any of the new generation cards should be fine. ie. Geforce 2xx, Radeon HD 5xxx. Older ones should be able to handle Win 7, it's just the newest generation has less of a chance of having incompatibility issues. Update your drivers if you are having issues, though.

3. thekraft

thekraft New Member

And btw, using third party software to find drivers isn't as effective as just going to Ati/Nvidia and downloading the new drivers.

4. Coaxsist

Aight, thanks. You wouldn't happen to know what video card comes "stock" in gx270s do you? Or how they're in the system? IE: integrated into the motherboard or put into a slot?

Thanks, I'll start looking at video cards today. Any particular makes/models people are partial to?

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

First thing listed is a PDF with the system specs http://www.google.com/search?btnG=Google+Search&q=Dell+Optiplex+GX270
    And if that's not enough the second result is to Dell's website where you'll find "Technical Specifications"

6. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

270s have onboard Intel graphics. I wouldn't put 7 on one of those. They're probably 5 year old machines.

7. Coaxsist

8. Coaxsist

You've guessed correctly. I'm posting with 1024x768 w/ 256 colors. Luckily, black and white show up, but not much else.

9. Coaxsist

I'm gonna take it to Best Buy, get a card and have them install it there.

Thanks for everyone's help!