Windows 2K Problems - Explorer Keeps Crashing...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Mar 30, 2007.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Weird problem on a machine I am working on. It supposedly worked fine yesterday, but now has all these problems.

Basically, if I double-click on My Computer, My Documents, Network Places, Control Panel, or any folder on the desktop, explorer crashes. I also cannot get IE to open up. The process shows up in task manager and then immediately closes.

It is at a point where I can't even browse any files/folders on the system. No matter what shortcut I use to open explorer (run box, Windows Key + E) or a folder causes explorer to crash.

I was able to use the control panel shortcuts (.cpl's) to get into the Control Panel, but nothing looked out of place. Nothing un-familiar is in add/remove programs and no un-normal processes are running.

The weirder thing is that everything works fine in Safe Mode.

I even ran a Windows repair on the machine and the problems are still there, yet it works fine in Safe Mode...

WTF???

I guess the next logical step is to do a full format on the machine, but I'm wondering what else I can do.

Google searching hasn't turned up much.

Thanks,

2. Create

Create :free at last:

Grab XP if you can to avoid alot of hassle.

What is the error code?

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If it works in Safe Mode, then there's a program or a service that's fucking with Explorer. Open taskmgr.exe and watch for any processes that spike when you open My Computer. Also, post a list of programs installed on your machine, and a list of running processes.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

No error code, explorer would close then restart automatically.

Either way... I just formatted the mahcine. It all works now...