Windows 2003 Services help...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Apr 18, 2006.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

We just upgraded our MRP system and I need to configure 2 services to run under a user other than administrator.

Every time I set it up this way and reboot the machine, I am getting event ID 7000 in the event viewer saying that the service failed to start because the account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid.

The account name does exist, has the correct password, and the correct permissions.

The weird thing is that even though the services will not automatically start when the machine logs into Windows, it will let me manually start them with the certain user. I just need them to automatically start.

Any ideas?

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Do the services actually not start (i.e. they show not started in the services MMC?) Sometimes if a service takes a while to start the system will throw an error before the service has a chance to start up.

If it's not starting try setting the recovery settings to restart it. It might be trying to start too early or they may be missing a dependency entry.

Also try manually starting them from a different machine (right-click my computer/manage and right click the top node and select the machine you want to manage from there). Once in a while a mentally challenged programmer will have a dependency start up in the Programs/Startup or the run key in the registry. If they will start with you logged in but not from a remote machine that is probably why.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Thanks for the reply...

The services do not start. The longest I have waited for the services to start was maybe 5 minutes or so (It's our main file server, so I usually don't have much time). I'll check the event log when waiting and I'll see the 2 errors saying the services couldn't start. Before I had to change the user they run under, they would start pretty fast.

I do have the services set to restart in the recovery settings.

I'll try to start them from a different machine.

Thanks,

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

The other thing you could try is to give this user name admin privileges just to see if it does start. If it does, you still have a permission problem.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

The user pretty much does have administrative rights including the right to log on as a service.

The weird thing is that I am able to manually start the services with that user account, but for some reason it doesn't seem to auto-start.

Like said above, maybe I wasn't waiting long enough for the services to start after the machine has booted. I'll try again.