Windows 2003 Server -- Reference Books?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RaginBajin, Sep 6, 2007.

1. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

What are your guys recommendations for a good Windows 2003 Server book?

Unless you guys got some good places online for me to use, I want to pick up a book on Windows 2k3. I just inherited an office network and we had a 2k3 box that was there, so I turned it into a Domain Controller, and began setting it up for the rest of the office to use.

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I can't really recommend a good book (check amazon, pay attention to the user reviews) but I can give you one piece of advice (and I'm not trying to be "mean" when I say this, so don't take it that way):

STOP FUCKING WITH YOUR PRODUCTION SERVER!

Active Directory is actually a bit more complicated that it sometimes appears on the surface. It's very easy to go down a path of royally screwing it up and not being able to find your way back to where you started. Build a server on a test box (desktop hardware is fine for this) and learn on that.

Now if that box isn't being used for anything, well then dandy, have at it.

I also suggest you use something like Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder(http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml) and write down any MS CD keys used on that system so you have them in case you need to rebuild it. It really sucks to be in the middle of a rebuild only to realize that no one saved the original keys.

**Jolly-Potroast exclusion clause: Magic Jelly Bean is perfectly legal, as is retrieving keys you already own from a system you control.

3. RaginBajin

Well I understand not to mess with a production server. The only problem is that we had nothing in the office when it came to Authenication and what not.

The previous company I worked for went bankrupt. 2 of us were kept around to shut down the company, and were offered jobs over at the new place running the whole thing. So we went off and got office space, hired some Sys Admin's and Support people to work there, and we only bought a certain amount of the assets that were running the previous office network. I was lucky to grab a couple of things before the liquidators took it away.

So now, that we are up and running, we need try to get organized a bit. I only do this office stuff when it breaks as I'm in charge of a lot of other things. This was easy enough to get up and going to get people to log in, tie in with our systems, get on the net, connect over to our Data Center, etc.

So this is not for tons of people, but I just wanted something I could reference when I get caught up in something I haven't touched before. I have an MCSE in 4.0 NT but that was so long ago and things are much different now.

So basically I'm looking to do the following:

Window Desktop Authentication
    Print Server
    DHCP
    DNS
    Ability to link Active Directory over to Development LInux Boxes
    Ability to link AD over to our PIX, Cisco Switches
    Ability to have AD give out proper Home Directories when that server is brought up.

That's it. Nothing overly complicated. It'll support maybe 15 people by the time we ramp up.

I appreciate the advice, and will definitely look into the magicaljellybean software. I definitely need to grab those things.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

All of that except DNS is pretty straight forward. If you are familiar with NT 4 it shouldn't be to much trouble to come up to speed. Something like this should get you started: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Server-Administrators-Companion/dp/0735613672

As for DNS: AD is completely and utterly reliant on it and this is where a lot of people hose up their environments. Other than maybe setting up forwarders so you can resolve outside domains don't mess around in there until you are familiar with how AD interacts with it.

5. RaginBajin

Cool thanks.. I'll keep that in mind.

6. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Mastering Windows Server 2003 by Minasi

It's huge, but if you read through it you'll understand a lot.