Windows 2003 Server 64-bit?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Supergeek, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Windows 2003 Server 64-bit gaming OS?

Does anyone run a 64-bit OS as a gaming desktop?

My primary motivation for running a 64-bit OS is I'd like to be able to use my full 4gb of RAM (XP shows 3gb) with no loss in performance.

System specs: I've got a Core2Duo e6600, 4gb RAM, and a GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512mb video card.

I've done some Googling, and some people have posted in various fora about running Win2003 server as a gaming platform, and that it can actually be better than Windows XP for performance and resource requirements.

I'm curious if any of the folks in here have compared Win2003 server 64-bit with XP, dual booted, benchmarked, gamed, whatever.

I tried the Win7 beta, but the 64-bit version wouldn't install; I kept getting:

"Windows could not collect information for OSImage since the specified image file image.wim does not exist."

... which seems to be a common error, again based on Googling.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

64 bit vista is fine. i don't know why you'd install 2003 server for gaming...

we run 2003 server here at work but that's because it comes with all kinds of nice server software and services that we use, all of that would be useless for gaming.

3. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

I've read some interesting stuff about converting Server 2003 to a workstation platform using various tweaks, and it does sound promising. You could always try and see for yourself, but I don't know if it'd be worth the hassle in the long run.

4. dave5678

dave5678 New Member

5. whup

Oops I'm with dave, I meant 2008 not 2003.

6. dave5678

dave5678 New Member

Yeah its good stuff and you can legally extend the trial to 240 days... I format before then anyways so free OS with a nice speed increase on raid0, 2gb ram, 2 8800gt's w/ 1gb ram each, 3800x2 running at 300x9.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Are you using the full 3gb already and need more or is it just a mental thing? If just mental, I'd wait for win7 to come out. Rumor is it isn't that far out.

8. Silfx

Silfx New Member

atm I'm running windows 2003 X64, havent made the switch to 2008 yet but intend to. There are no disadvantages running a server windows vs XP/vista all you need to do is enable Directx, hardware acceleration (audio and video) and change a few minor settings and its basiclly the same w/o some of the useless bloatware found in XP/Vista.

9. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

I frequently run 2 copies of an online game at the same time, and they're 700-800mb a pop. It would be nice to be able to run 3 or 4 at the same time with that extra gig of RAM. Other than that one game, no, I don't usually have an issue. Usually I'm either gaming or working, not both at the same time.

I'll definitely have to take a look at 2008 if the benchmarks are promising.

10. whup

That game is WoW isn't it! :squint:

11. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

EverQuest actually :naughty:

I looked at those benchmarks. It looked like XP64 kicked butt in a lot of them, except for one of the 2d benchmarks where it was abysmal compared to everything else. What's up with that??