Windows 2000 unable to recognize slave HD...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by abyssinianson, Dec 4, 2004.

1. abyssinianson

abyssinianson New Member

hey all, this question goes out to Win2K user or others that may have seen this - I currently run a win2K machine with the following specs:

P4/ 1GB RAM @ 2.0Ghz - AsusP4B266 motherboard
    Master drive: 80GB Western Digital
    Slave: 40GB Western Digital / Seagate Barracuda 200GB*

Maxtor UltraATA 133 controller:
    IDE Port #1 with 2 Seagate 200GB drives

The question: I used to have the Seagate 200GB as the primary slave when it just stopped being recognized and only became identified as a "Local Drive" with no properties listed. The drive shows on explorer but I can't browse it, or change any jumper setting to repair the problem. I figured that windows was having a hard time recognizing the >137GB drive so I swapped it out for a smaller 40GB to check - no dice. same shit.

Anyone ever see this happen? what can I do to fix this? It treats all primary slave drives as "Local Drives".

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

What does disk management show?

3. abyssinianson

abyssinianson New Member

disk management shows the same thing, it recognizes the presence of the drive but doesn't say anything about its contents. it always says "disk is not formatted". thing is, my PC used to recognize the drive in question but then it just started recognizing the drive as "Local Disk".

i have one drive that houses all of my program and OS files. the drive that isn't functioning doesn't have any of those types of files on it - it is only for storage.

what could be done to make sure it gets rrecorgnized properly again? i can't format it - there are a lot of important files on it that i didnt get to back up.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

your partition is borked. Try data recovery.

5. abyssinianson

abyssinianson New Member

i've been working with the drive tonight and what i found out was:

the PC doesn't recognize a file system for the drive, the data is intact because the disk utility says there is stuff on it, it always asks for "file system drivers".

now, are the file system drivers loaded on the drive itself? i never loaded or installed anything on it. how do i load a file system on the disk without formatting or ruining the data on the HD?

I am currently looking for a way to assign a file system on the drive but do it nondestructively.

6. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Realistically there are no drivers you should need to install for the hard drive within the OS. There are drivers for the disk controllers and such but that stuff is already loaded on there if the PC is working.

Usually when you install a drive you verify your jumper settings, make sure the PC can see it in its BIOS, and then you go to the OS level and do your partitioning and format. If it's already partitioned and the OS can't see it either it's not setup correctly jumper wise or in the BIOS, the partition type is one that the particular OS can't read(which doesn't sound like the case here), or possibly the partition is not valid(hardware issue, or partition is corrupted somehow)