Windows 2000 Server People...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PSUPef2K, Sep 3, 2003.

1. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

I'm trying to use recovery console to get my OS back up and running, but I'm getting the error "Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: c:\winnt\system32\config\system" but then it cuts off the rest for some reason. Is there anyway to restore the system files from the win2kserver CD?

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

What timing. My W2k Pro work box upchucked yesterday afternoon and I had to clean it up this morning. Because I'm a web dev guy, I don't have admin rights to my own box. To run console, you have to be an admin (or at least have the admin password). So I found if I ran the 2nd option to the "Console Repair" (I forgot the name of the option - something like manual repair or whatever), that did the trick and I could replace all my changed winnt directory files. Dont know if that will help you out, but it might be something to try (boot the CD, hit Repair, select 2nd option instead of first Console repair option). Make sense?

3. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

yep. Except I have no repair disk for the server....I B fucked...

repair console didnt find a partition to fix....:(

4. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

sounds like your hdd may of what we call "shit its self to death".

just replace the hdd, and restore from ur last back up!

i assume u did do a backup right? for a server?

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I didn't need a "system repair disk" or whatever that backup disk was. Can you get past it without the disk? I booted off CD and told the tool to 'L' locate the winnt partition (which it found without a problem). Once it did that, it prompted me for another menu and I was set...