Windows 2000 Server network issue..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jshively, Jun 8, 2004.

1. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Ok this is a strange one that has been plaguing me for awhile. We have about 10 2000 servers and 1 NT4 server. However, one of our servers is just freaking goofy. It is a web server that also hosts our VPN connections. It has 5 IP addresses on it and each one is bound to a web page. However, the primary IP address is where the problem resides.

Every now and then when we go to terminal service into this server it will not connect, a ping will return request timed out, and if you go to the primary web page it will display a server not found error. However, if you go to see one of the other web pages on that server it works like a champ. This problem though only happens in our office. None of the remote offices have a problem connecting nor do any of our external customers connecting to the primary web page. Oh yeah VPN is always up and working fine and VPN is bound to the primary IP address.

Here is what we have done:
    1) Put all the web pages and VPN on a new server and it worked fine.
    2) Replaced the server with a brand new server and even changed the naming around to find out that the problem started happening again.
    3) Ran the server directly into the switch bypassing the wall jack.
    4) Put a Cisco 4506 on the network as the primary switch.

I am getting no odd errors in event viewer and all DNS/Replication is going good except for replication errors to a server that is currently turned off but all servers are getting this error.

Oh yeah and I ran ethereal when the server was timing out pings and see a massive amounts of
    Server-> My PC [PSH,ACK]
    My PC -> Server [ACK]

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Hmmm - I would imagine that you are having problems with the traffic going back out into the internet and getting lost. WHat I mean is that the path that it should be taking back to your local LAN, isn't available, or isn't defaulted. A host file on your server in question would be in order to ensure that the traffic gets routed properly through the right NIC/gateway.

3. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Actually clarification. The server is sitting in the same building as me and on the same IP scheme so I don't think it is a routing issue. I thought it was a current switch being overloaded error but I eliminated that by the 4506.

All of our remote and external users can connect perfectly just not our internal users. If this makes any sense.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

Makes perfect sense to me. I still think I'm right since it does work with external users (ie uses the gateway).

5. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

I entered in the route print command and it shows:
    192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.100.97 192.168.100.97 1

for our network route and that looks good to me.

How would I setup a host file? Use to Cisco and Unix not freaking W2k.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

Okay, lets for a second pretend I'm right. If you eliminate the gateway altogether in the IP setup on that computer, that will shut out the external users, but it should work fine for you. Try that first.

7. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

I am agreeing actually you are right it is just have questions about how I would fix it. You mentioned this:
    I don't know how to setup a host file to ensure the traffic gets routed correctly internally. Or even how to set the route up as default.

8. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

P.S. believe me at this point I will try anything within reason. I am not arguing semantics. Heck have the stuff I have tried has been way off the wall. I just wanted to clarify how my network is configured and in relation to the server and where the problem really lies.

Normally I have always seen problems with external connecting and that is either a firewall or router misconfiguration never seen internal having problems connecting.

9. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Could it be caused by running the VPN server on the same machine. For example when I am having problems pinging the main IP address I am able to ping the secondary addresses just fine.

10. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

okay first thing: i would not run the vpn server on the same box as iis (i am assuming it's iis and not apache for win32)

how many nics are in this box that has 5 ip addresses and how are they bound?

11. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

It is IIS.

There are 2 nics on the box. The one nic has been disabled completely. The other one has a main address of 192.168.100.97 and then four sub IP addresses. The VPN is linked to the main IP address which is also on the web site that I am having problems with.

Switching the VPN over right now and I should be completed by Monday after I get freaking 50 users changed.