Windows 2000 Server and VPN

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kleptos, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Kleptos

Kleptos Guest

I am trying to setup VPN from my Windows 2000 Professional laptop to my Windows 2000 Server and whenever i try to setup the VPN on the server, it never shows any devices to connect through. I have a network card that works great through my DSL. But for some reason, no matter what i do, it will not show up under the VPN setup wizard, please help.. Thanks!

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

The VPN server needs two NICs

3. Kleptos

Kleptos Guest

Why would it need 2 NIC's? I am not saying your wrong, cause i dont know, i'll definatly try it, i just dont see why it would need 2 of them.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

Because VPN requires a Public IP address as well as an internal Private IP address

5. 5Gen_Prelude

I'm just rereading your question now and I'm thinking, "Why are you setting up VPN?" Sounds like nothing is remote and if so VPN is not what you are looking for

6. Kleptos

Kleptos Guest

I want to be able to access my files on my home computer from my laptop at work as well as be able to access my SQL server through enterprise manager. I figured a VPN setup would be best.. Any other ideas?

7. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

well, if you didn't want to screw with the VPN thing, you could always just use terminal services to remote in and control your home pc

8. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:werd: Terminal Services works great if you can't get VPN up and running.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

Term services will also be faster since the raw data isn't flowing through to your remote, just the screen updates.

BTW, how do you transfer files between Term Services and the remote? PCAnywhere has a File Manager but I wasn't aware that Term Services did.

10. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Term services doesn't have a file transfer option that i know of. But he could always set up FTP or something.

11. Kleptos

Kleptos Guest

Hmm, i thought terminal services was more of a text type connection, sorta like telnet to a shell, is that true, or am i way off?

12. 5Gen_Prelude

Terminal Services is much like PCAnywhere - it allows you to remotely access the computer as if your local mouse, keyboard and monitor were hooked up via super long cords (sounds dumb but essentially that's it). It has one advantage over PCAnywhere that I know of and that's the ability to have multiple users logged in at once with their very own dekstops and processes, where as PCAnywhere doesn't support multiple desktops or users and you can see what they're doing if you want. Not all software is compatible with TS though, but your standard Office2002+ package will work fine. The good thing about the system is that it decreases the amount of CPU power you need on each desk, an old Pentium will be relatively fast since all that is being updated is the screen - the processing of the data and such is being done on the server side. It even works well over dial-up.

Bottom line, if you had a work order or sales order system and you just wanted to view, add, delete an order, TS does a great job since you can do all of that. If you want to run a master list of all sales, throw it into an excel spreadsheet, work on your laptop with other software or something, then you need to get that data, and not just a screen image of that data. This is TS's shortcoming IMHO. PCanywhere on the other hand has a built in file transfer that allows you to transfer or even syncronize your desktop files to your laptop files (similar Win98's "Briefcase"). In practice, I use both - TS for accessing servers from my desktop, PCanywhere to access my desktop from home. They both have advantages and ultimately it depends on EXACTLY what you are using it for.

Oh and FYI, I sometimes PCAnywhere into my desktop from home and then TS into my servers. This allows me access to the servers remotely without having to put the server on a public IP. Best of both worlds!

13. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

[chant]Citrix XP. [/chant]

14. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

The remote desktop feature in Windows XP has a great file transfer utility. It is not, however, available in TS.

15. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Oh and VPN does not require 2 nics.