Windows 2000 pro or XP pro

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dead Leaves, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Dead Leaves

Dead Leaves Guest

scenario...
    i'm about to format my drive and i need to know everything before i wipe it out. I been using Windows 2000 at my work for about 8 months and so far i havent seen any major problems. But i dont know enough about Windows XP.

soo....

i'm not sure which operating system i should go with, windows 2000 pro or XP pro. I need to know the ups and downs for both Operating Systems.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2003
  2. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

imho:
    windows 2000
    Pros:
    - Once Patched, Stable As Hell
    - Designed for work enviroments
    - Not A Memory/CPU hog
    - Fast Even On Old Machines
    - Better Legacy Software/Hardware Support
    Cons:
    - No _ugly_ gui.

Window XP
    Pro:
    - has _ugly_ gui
    Con:
    - Memory/CPU Hog
    - Slow On Old & New Machines
    - Little to no legacy support

but then thats my bias'ed opinion. i hate xp ;)

4. Dead Leaves

Dead Leaves Guest

hahahahaha nice thanks cyberbullets.

5. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

From what I've worked with, XP was a lot more stable OS, but that may just be the type of things I run.

Something that makes me sad is that some XP machines won't run older games while other's will. Example: I can install and play "Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption" on my desktop but not on my mother&*$^ing laptop.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Never heard anyone say XP was more stable than Win2K. It does have some interesting bells and whistles Win2K doesn't though.

7. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Well, one thing about XP I've noticed is that if it freezes for any reason, if you give it about five minutes it will fix itself, so you don't lose any unsaved data from a restart. My comp has only froze like this twice in one year. Both times were during ripping, encrypting, and combining some four disc SVCD sequel about some shrt guy with a magical ring.

8. Supadoggie

Supadoggie I ♥ my doggah

for those people complaining about the ugly gui or resource hog..

you can turn those things off and make it look exactly like win2k

so I would say go with winXP

9. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

I used 2K Pro for a couple of years, and when XP came out I had no intention of even looking at it as I was happy with 2K.

Finally my machine followed in the footsteps of every other Windows box that gets used as much as mine did and I had to reload it. I went with XP and I haven't gone back.

For the comments about speed, at work we still had some P2/333 Thinkpads in circulation and if they needed to be reimaged, they went from 95 to 2000 Pro. If you think 2K is fast even on slow machines, you obviously haven't used it on a 333MHz Thinkpad. On the other hand, XP boots up much faster both on my box at home and machines at work I use that had 2K on them previously.

10. Dead Leaves

Dead Leaves Guest

wow thats very intresting aimless. after a few days of research i think im gonna just partition my hard drive. load up windows 2000 and XP. what do you guys think? after i experienced both operating systems for i think i'll figure out which one i like more. then i'll just delete the partition and load 2000 or xp alone.

hey people have been telling me about linux, i never used it before but what is it like? is the GUIs a lot like windows or totally different? dont flame me for not knowing but im just curious

11. Musaca

Musaca Guest

Linux has come a long way & truth is, it' always getting better. But it's more for server use now.... Still has a long way to go, before it becomes a desktop. But for server use, it's still #1. Most unix systems are.

Another then is the "gui" can be changed. The two most used shells are KDE & Gnome. Personally, I like KDE. A bit different from windows shell, but more tweakable if you know what your doing.

If you really want to try linux, I'd do it on another computer.

12. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Or download a DemoLinux or Knoppix .iso and you can run linux off of a CD.

13. Dead Leaves

Dead Leaves Guest

hmm so if linux is another operating system does it need a powerful system to run it? or no? i dont fully understand teh use fo linux. if im just runing my typical programs like autocad and aol and internet stuff everyday there would be no use for linux right

14. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It's just my opinion, but using Linux for an everyday desktop is like hanging on to the Commodore Amiga just because it's :cool:. It's not that I have any love for MS, but in the end you should use the tools that get the job done the best and easiest. Simple things like working in Word without having to convert back and forth is critical if you are working as a team. But then there are some great uses for Linux too - if you are running any kind of server it will work real well without a lot of the BS you get with MS.

15. Dead Leaves

Dead Leaves Guest

hey has anyone heard of XP codename:Longhorn

16. Musaca

Musaca Guest

Ya, everyone!

Um, ya... Everyone! :slap:

Windows Longhorn is in Alpha Mode right now. (Alpha's are what normally stay on the inside, before beta's & way before an RC or final release, also normally very unstable).

I wouldn't be looking for that as a main OS & personally, it's more of a waste of time, for now.

For those of you who don't know what Windows Longhorn is, it's the next Windows OS being worked on my Microsoft. The due date, at best guess is 2005 - 2006, but it would not shock me if that got moved even further. Microsoft would be smart to not too try to make it sooner, but this is Microsoft we're talking about.

17. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

Summer 2004 along with directX 10

18. Furner

Furner New Member

I prefer 2000 pro, its like XP, but faster and dosnt have all the pretty stuff that gets in the way. Start menu makes more sense usually in 2000

....IMO

19. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

only time i would recommend xp is if you're going to setup wireless networking..