Windows '03 server

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 01Z71, Oct 17, 2006.

1. 01Z71

01Z71 New Member

I am installing a server with windows '03 server. The problem I am having is my workstations (3) runninng Win 98 can see the server and the server can see them but it will not let me log on to the server.

It tells me the Domain Specified cannot be located.

When I tried running the setup it suggested I look at the help for running the configuration on Computer with Operating Systems older than XP or Win 2000.

How can I set this up so it will work? I am getting lost on what to do. Thanks.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Did you install Active Directory on the 2003 server? What's your domain name. If your domain name is mydomain.com, Win98 machines will logon to mydomain. Also, you must be running DNS on your server and it must be the DNS server for your clients. If you don't do that, Active Directory goes to shit pretty quickly.

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

active directory :mamoru:

4. 01Z71

01Z71 New Member

Thanks. I'll check it tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated on what happens.

5. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

:werd:

6. 01Z71

01Z71 New Member

O.K. -- I'm making some progress. It will be tonight before I can take our old server down and put this one in it's place.

One thing though whenever I try to map the drive (P) whenever I try creating a folder it tells me I do not have permission. I am logged in as Administrator and have full permissions. Any ideas what is causing that?

7. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

There is a permissions tab (far right) under the properties of the folder, you should be able to add yourself or the entire Administrators group to have full control.

8. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Care to elaborate? I don't really understand AD, and I dunno what to make of it. So...?

9. 01Z71

01Z71 New Member

Update: I worked with it some last night. I have a couple of questions. Is the IP of the server the DNS Number? Also, when I get the DNS straightened out will I be able to use Internet Explorer to setup the '98 machines for the network or am I still going to get the error telling me I need to refer to setting up a client workstation using an earlier version of Windows? Thanks and I appreciate the help.

10. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

You should be running DNS on the server before installing AD. The server and all of your other machines should use your DNS server as their DNS server. That will let AD work properly and allow Internet access.

11. 01Z71

01Z71 New Member

What exactly do I need to do on the server side of things to make this work? Is there anything special with the active directory on the server or anything extra I need to do for pre-windows 2000 machines on the server.

I have tried everything so far but the workstations see the server they just don't seem to like communicating with it. Also, on the '98 workstations do I need to add a domain suffix in the DNS or is it o.k. without it.

Thanks.

12. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

One trick about windows servers is there are two levels of security for shared folders. Shared permissions and file level permissions. The file level permissions haven't changed since W2K, however with W2K3, for some reason they decided to change the default share permissions to read only for everyone instead of write/read for everyone.

13. mw818

mw818 New Member

pengiun power!

just setup samba imo =]