Window media player error.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Exold, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Exold

Exold Guest

I am not sure if this is the correct board to post this question in, but:

Just recently I have been unable to listen to any music that I copied from my CDs onto my computer. In WMP I receive an error message that read "Windows Media Player cannot create the playlist because the name already exists. Type a different playlist name." Worse still, I am also unable to play the same music in any other media play, be it winamp or itunes. I have been downloading music lately off bittorrent. I'm not sure if that could have caused this.
    Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. MP

MP New Member

what are the errors when you try to play with winamp or iTunes?

3. Exold

Exold Guest

I dont see an error sign anywhere when i use winamp or itunes, but the same thing happens: the songs i coped are skipped and the closest song in the library that i downloaded is played.

4. MP

MP New Member

hmm, something must have happened right before it stopped working. Anything you did?

Usually when songs are skipped like that it means that they aren't in the right directory which means the "players" playlist has the songs directory listing stored ie: C:\\document\music\song.mp3 butthe actual song is really in some other directory. if you saved the songs in a playlist and then moved them that would have caused it.

umm is this happening to recent songs you copied or to all the songs you copied from a while ago?

5. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

Prepare yourself for grim news. Are you ready? Well, it could be corrupted. I had a faulty harddrive that corrupted my mp3s. It wouldn't matter what player I tried to use, WMP, iTunes, Winamp, they would all just refuse to play and did not give me any errors.

I had someone on the Winamp forums help me by running some diagnostics on the suspect mp3s and it came up with a ton of errors.

Odd thing was, Windows and other programs would run without a hitch, but my MP3 files (2/3) of it were nuked.

Can't remember what the program used to run the diagnostics was called, but try google.

6. MP

MP New Member

woah that is weak. I've never run across that one before :noes: I was hoping he just screwed up a setting or something. Lets hope for that :x: Seeing as how it isn't playing in ANY media player you have a point. It is still possible he copied them wrong though.

7. Exold

Exold Guest

This is happening to all my copied music, all or 95% of which where copied about 4 months ago. The only thing I have been doing to my music folder is adding illegally downloaded music to it. The funny thing is that music plays fine.