Winding up the boost on a B6 A4 1.8T Quattro?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Merli, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Merli

Merli gplus.to/merli OT Supporter

*WARNING* Jap-Crap infiltrator posting ;)

So..... I'm thinking about getting an Audi 1.8T Quattro for a daily driver, but I'm very concerned with the lack of power.

120kw?!?! That's like less than a quarter of my current "jap crap" power...

Modified Euros in Australia have *SHIT* resale value, so what I'd like to know is:

How far can I wind up the boost on the standard turbo/standard internals?

What other options do I have with this car? Chip? Exhaust? What else? What kind of power gains would I be looking at with each modification?

*Disclaimer* I'm not truely an outsider, I used to own an Audi 80 :o

2. vw16vcabby

vw16vcabby New Member

stock vw internals are beefy as hell. no problem there. the turbo/fuel is your weak link. that will need upgraded. On fwd cars here in the states, the stock turbo is driven into high 13's. So maybe a tad quicker w/ the awd.... You can chip the ecu to get more hp by manipulating the maps.

Here is an example of a stock block 1.8t that is pushing crazy power.....

[​IMG]

the red pass is at 26 psi no nitrous. the blue pass is at 26 psi w/ nitrous. Owner of the car is Billy T. He is on the hardcore vw page on www.vwsport.com thats where the graph was lifted from in the dyno queen section. I think he was getting low 12's in the 1/4 iirc.

here are some videos of his car racing. some are from a roll racing other cars, whereas some are at tracks. worth the download.

http://forum.vwsport.com/dload.php?action=category&id=50

So w/ beefed up fuel and turbo, you can push some nice numbers without no problem.

3. Merli

I actually have a 100hp wet NOS kit sitting next to me :) That was a given, that it would be Nitroused.

Mid 13s from standard turbo... Not too shabby I suppose, for a luxury $30K Audi...

The other car on my list is a 350z, with 206kw, it's got nearly double the power of this 1.8T Quattro.

Hmmm.... Choices choices...

4. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

First off, if you want sheer horsepower don't buy a Euro. You're paying too much if all you're looking for is power.

Secondly, the 1.8T is one of the best blocks out there and will take almost anything you throw at it (hell look at all the 17 year olds drivin 'em).

Finally, the Audi will never handle just as well as the 350z, but it can be as fast as a stock 350z with some work. Inversely, the 350Z will *never* have Quattro, a luxury interior, or comfortable seating for 4 adults.

PS - You buy horsepower (kw), but you drive torque :o

5. Merli

I'm not after sheer horsepower... Far from it. I've got my other car for that.

But I *do* need a decent amount of power and torque... Mostly torque for easy daily driving and overtaking. I've driven 120kw cars before.. In fact my first car had exactly 120kw, and I shudder to think I'd go back to that power level. It was pathetic.

Have you seen the interior of the 350z? Heated leather sports seats, all leather interior... How is that not a luxury interior?

It's only a 2 seater though, but that doesn't bother me.

6. Merli

7. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

Build quality, content quality, design, as well as an overall ambiance of luxury make an interior of comfort. Leather does not equate to luxury. If this were so, my TDi Jetta has more luxury than my old A8 4.2 did, and this is not true.

And if the lack of two doors doesnt bother to you, why dont you simply stick with your Skyline?

I'm just curious as to why you're looking at a small 4 door sedan.

8. bobo

bobo Something Something....

billy's turbo was far from being the stock k03sport.

most chipped k03's run 1.0-1.1 bar, while stock ones run about 0.8 bar. i have been able to boost unsafely up to 24psi (as measured on the VAG-COM) without blowing anything in my other jetta.

billy was offering me that car right after he got in an accident and totalled my 1.8T, but instead I opted to get the platinum grey GLI that i own now. last i heard, billy's old golf is out in el paso romping on everyone.

9. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

A standard aftermarket chip will get you to over 200hp easy. If you want a big performance gain, say close to 300 hp, you'll need a big turbo kit. But like everyone else said, the 1.8T is one hell of a block. Can take a ton of power for a 1.8 liter.

10. Merli

Thanks for all the replies guys...

T-T: I agree that leather doesn't equate to luxury, but the 350z interior is "quite luxurious for a sports car"... My skyline is heavily modified (~600hp), and is a bitch to drive everyday (triple plate clutch), so i was after something a little more user friendly for daily duties.

So BillyT upgraded his turbo? That makes more sense then... I just can't see any standard turbo from manufacturer being efficient upto 24psi... They'd all just be blowing hot air anywhere above 1.2 bar, regardless whether it be a GTR, Audi or Bentley.

Thanks again for your replies guys!

11. Merli

12. vw16vcabby

vw16vcabby New Member

where did i say he was on the stock turbo? stock block, but never did i say stock turbo....

13. Merli

Sorry, that's what I got from "stock block 1.8t"... I must have read it as "stock 1.8t"...

My bad! :)