win98 computer back 2 life...help please!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by costill, May 26, 2008.

1. costill

costill ...take fear from bats

ok, i have an old computer which originally had windows 95 on it, but has had some windows 98 upgrades (says 98 on startup, yet asks for the 98 cd-rom when trying to locate a driver for new hardware)
    anyways, it runs good and was going to see if i can network it and also play some old games on it.

i posted a thread about this machine a while back, i got a free ethernet card from my friend, hooked everything up then turned it on. it went thru the new hardware guide, it said it already had the driver to run it, i click next and it said 'copying files,' then it asks me to install the 'windows 98 cd-rom'

i'm lost now. i went online and tried to download the driver, i burned to cdrom, saved it to the desktop of my old mach, and unzipped the files. tried again and the same thing...insert winblah blah blah

oh if more info is needed please tell me what and i'll try to fig it out (i turned off the old mach and i'm too frustrated and lazy to turn it back on) later on.

thanks sooo much for anyone that helps. i hope it's not something retarded

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you need to point it to the i386 files from the cd, like it's asking.

3. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

Yes theres no way around using the Windows 98 CD - that was back before windows put that information on the HD so you didn't have to put the CD in every time you changed something.

4. costill

thanks for the help. is there a site where i could d/l and burn this, or do i just have to hope a friend still has an old copy?

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not legal. Your friend should still have a copy. Otherwise I'm sure you'll find one cheap on ebay.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

When you do get a copy of the CD, copy the entire i386 folder from the CD to the C: drive. That way the next time Windows wants a driver or whatnot, you can point it to "C:\i386" and you won't have to dig out the CD.

8. costill

got it working,(actually posting with it-damn all the script warning boxes!) brick+computer looks like a good idea. call it a trip down memory lane and something free to mess around on in my boredom. thanks again for the help