Win XP: Where'd my icons go?!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by moss, Oct 13, 2004.

1. moss

moss Guest

Started about 1-2 weeks ago... I really didnt pay much attention to it, but its really starting to bug me. There's a few icons missing within my systems... specifically these ones:

Network Connection Control panel:
    [​IMG]

Show All connections:
    [​IMG]

and Windows Catalog,New Office Document, and Open Office Document:
    [​IMG]

I tried Properties>Change Icon> Find Icon>OK, nothing... WTF? Is it in the registry or something?

Help! It's annoying me! :lol:

2. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

few simple questions to start: check device manager and list out what devices you have under network adapters....second, check add remove programs and see if your office application is listed (microsoft office, open office, etc)....reply with that and we'll go from there

3. Poon

Poon New Member

4. moss

moss Guest

Network adapters:
    1394 Net Adapter
    Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
    Dell TrueMobile 1300 USB WLAN Card (bleh, hunk of poop)

Add/Remove:
    Microsoft Office Standard Edition (listed)

I forgot to mention, the items work no problem, I can click on them and the correct application or item will open, just the icon is missing... maybe I could go about repairing Windows? Maybe it's just a DLL malfunction?

5. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

its possible something just got overwritten or something like that, it never hurts to install over the top (your OS).....wont replace anything and will only fill in holes and reset defaults....try that and see if that helps....should

6. moss

moss Guest

Probably what I'll do, however I only have the XP SP1a disc, and I'm running SP2.