Win XP network/sharing problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bustme, Aug 28, 2005.

1. bustme

bustme New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    I posted this somewhere else before I noticed this forum, and I deleted the initial one, sorry for the double post.

Ok here's the gist:

I'm doing a part-time work as a computer/network managing assistant, and I'm stumped. There are 16 computers for education, and 1 computer for the instructor. When the class students (they're learning html) write out a code, they will all put it in a shared file in the instructor's computer, and the instructor will open them one by one and review them. The thing is, the shared folder can't be allowed to more than 5 computers at once. I kept looking for ways to remedy, but to no avail.

Is there a way to go around this? The ip addresses are fixed, btw.

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    This is a restriction in XP itself. The instructor computer needs to be Windows 2000 or 2003 to have more than 5 simultaneous connections. One way to help get by might be to use a 3rd party (not IIS) FTP daemon on the instructor machine, and have the studends FTP the files up. I don't know if it will get around the limitation or not, but it would speed up session clearing so others could get in after someone is done uploading.