Win 7 upgrade

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hops, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Hops

Hops OT Supporter

I am still running on XP and want to upgrade to 7. I installed XP off of an upgrade disc and wondering if buying the win 7 upgrade is going to give me problems over just buying the full.

I just remember going through hell with my XP install trying to track down my win98 disc :rofl:

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Microsoft has a thing you can download that will tell you which windows 7 will work for you and whether you can upgrade or not.

I think with XP you have to buy the full version but I'm not 100% on that.

3. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Anytime you have an upgrade disc there must be a prior version of windows already installed. So, if you ever want to reformat your computer, you will need to first install win98, then upgrade to xp, then upgrade to 7. That's because you need either Windows XP or Windows Vista on your computer for the upgrade.

Windows 7 will upgrade from either Windows Vista or Windows XP, so you do not need the full version of 7 to get it. Because you will be going from XP to 7 and not Vista to 7, you won't have the option to keep installed programs/etc. The upgrade disc will essentially do a clean install.

Since you don't currently own a full version of XP, I recommend just getting a full version of 7. Otherwise, as I mentioned above, if you ever want to reformat your computer, you'll have to install 98, then XP, then 7.

I don't know if you can get away with doing a clean install of XP without a serial number, then upgrade to 7 so you don't need to bother with 98 anymore.

4. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

i just installed win 7 onto my new computer on a blank HD that didn't have an existing OS, I used an upgrade CD i bought from The Ultimate Steal, just google full install using win 7 upgrade CD you'll figure it out..... worked for me, I got Win 7 Pro for $30

5. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Post link, or BS.

"Upgrade Anytime" disks are different than upgrade disks as well. You may have had the Upgrade Anytime disk if it didn't require Vista installed prior.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You don't need to install Win98 to get an upgrade version of XP to work - you do need the CD though.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I did the same a few months back with the $30 Windows 7 upgrade from Digital River.

Make a bootable DVD from the install files. Boot off the DVD and install Windows 7 without entering the CD key. It wont take the key since you do not have an OS on the drive.

Boot off the DVD again and install, this time entering the key. Setup will see you have a qualifying OS and you can wipe the drive and do a clean install.

I think that's how I did it.