Win 2K Networking Question for Sample Scenario

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by aliengti, Jan 20, 2004.

1. aliengti

aliengti Guest

This is this weeks discussion question in my net402 class. I am having a hell of a time grasping subnetting, but I'm getting there. So this is the scenario, what are some possible resolutions?
    Thanks ( I know there are some IT gods on this board )

2. FLY-FAST

FLY-FAST OT Supporter

delete one of the subnets, and merge the two, scopes depending on purpose

3. aliengti

aliengti Guest

Thanks fly fast. That does seem to make sense. If you remove one of the subnets and then merge them the DHCP would assign them IP's without a problem.

4. DFWSR4EVER

DFWSR4EVER There's Stlil Time to Change the Road You're On

welcome to Computers and Programming

5. JPrice1485

JPrice1485 New Member

The whole purpose of DHCP Relay Agent is to allow two different segments to use one DHCP server serving both segments.

6. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

That will work, but my guess its not the answer they are looking for. I would suggest taking a look at http://www.tacteam.net/isaserverorg/vpnkitbeta2/dhcprelay.htm. They are using the idea for a VPN but its the same theory.

7. ds3

ds3 Guest

no i dont think hes question had anything to do with VPN. Regardless i hate MCSE courses, and will be happy to have finished them. Although i now hate novell even more and understand why no one uses it.

8. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

I don't think his question is about VPN, but its the same concept... He wants to route DHCP service and you do that the same way through a VPN or just a router...

9. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

i know shit all about dhcp relay agent, but if you want to open separate network segments to dhcp requests and receives through a router you generally need to open ports 67-68 udp at the router for traffic to pass between the subnets. the dhcp relay agent may serve that purpose

10. aliengti

aliengti Guest

Yup DHCP relay agent was what I was looking for. Thanks again. I had no idea we had a computer and programming forum. I am noob.

Thanks again.