WIN 2000 Printing problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by psujeeperman02, Mar 17, 2006.

1. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

Hey guys,
    im running win 2000 server with about 30 networked printers installed on it.
    every morning between 10 - 11 am, all of the printers stop working. nothing prints and the print queues just start stacking up. the only way to fix this is if i go into the services section and stop and start the print spooling service.

why is this happening? how can i resolve this?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The cheap way to fix it would be to schedule an automatic reboot at 9:59am every day. Also, make sure your printers are all using fixed IP addresses that the network router has no control over. Otherwise, the router may be issuing them new IP addresses every morning, and your server could be losing track of where the printers are on the network.

3. chips

chips ...

have you tryed restarting the spooler when this happens?

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah, I think he has.

Try stopping and re-starting the spooler around 8-9am and see what happens. Maybe its an "every 24 hours" thing or maybe it fails at the same time of day regardless of how long the service has been running. That could give you some clue.

5. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

with that many printers he should have each printer set up with a name and the mac address. that way even if the ip gets changed, the name will still resolve to that printer.

6. deusexaethera

That assumes the print driver supports mapping a MAC address to a virtual printer port. Depending on the grade of the printer (college-dorm vs. big-business, for example), they might not support that. I'd like to think he's managing $2000 printers, but reality indicates that probably a few of them at least are cheap POS printers with cheap POS drivers to match.

7. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

turns out that the reason all of my printers were getting hung up is because one of the printers had a corrupted driver. thank god i had an idea of which printer it was, or i would have been working on that for months.

8. deusexaethera

I knew it was a driver problem! (performs an obscenely ethnic gesture entirely inappropriate for a whitey such as himself)

Was it a cheap POS printer, like I had predicted?