GUN Wilson or Les Baer? (1911)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jefferson Darcy, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

I may be getting a 1911 this year if I can scrounge $1500-$2000 after buying my R1 or CBR1000RR... I been saying that for a few years tho so who knows :dunno:

Basically, are the Wilsons worth the extra $500 or so for their base model (either CQB or Protector... I think the only difference is the protector is two tone or stainless and the CQB is black and grey, green or all black)?

Anyone have a Wilson or Les Baer?

2. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

i haven't shot either (damnit :hs: ) but you can read a lot of reviews of both from people who have one or both of them over at 1911forums.com ... Valtro and Ed Brown are two more names you might wish to consider in that price range

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

I have (wait, had) a CQB and my buddy has a Baer TRS (we bought them on the same day); both good guns, but the TRS is too freakin' tight. I mean, like, stupid tight. After ~3000 rounds, it still takes almost two people to disassemble.

The TRS finish is great and the trigger is equally as good. The CQB's finish is tougher and the trigger is nice as well.

FWIW, I build my 1911s now. If it tells you anything, I sold my CQB two days ago; if I had a TRS, I woulda sold it, too. I like my builds better and so do others. I've had a large number of people shoot my CQB beside the gun that I worked up and when it was said and done, they wanted me to build them a gun, or tweak theirs, because the one I did was better than the Wilson.

I guess you get what you pay for in the end. The Wilson was a great gun. The material cost is not much but you gotta pay the people to put it together. With me, I had nice stuff but I also had a bunch of hours tied up in the gun so that offset a lot of the cost.

Anyhow, when I went to the range, the CQB stayed in the safe...
    Here's one of them: http://webpages.charter.net/usmcsilver/refinish

4. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Wilson all the way

5. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

Nice pics. I don't have a les baer 1911, but i can vouch for them as an incredibly badass gunmaker. I have the LB Thunder Ranch .223, and it's the most incredible weapon i've ever seen/shot in my life.

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i just hopped on the 1yr+ waiting list for a Hilton Yam 10-8 package. for $1200+, i'd rather something with a personal touch and he's a cop who does no BS 1911's. :coold:

7. Jefferson Darcy

I think I've decided on a Wilson CQB with an ALL grey armor-tuff finish. Its different, and thats :cool:.... and if I ever decide I dont like it any more, I can send it back to wilson and get that bitch hard-chromed :cool:

heres a pic of someones on 1911forum.com with some nice micarta grips

[​IMG]

teh grey/black combo is :cool: too even tho I'm not a huge fan of two tone
    [​IMG]

not really feeling the green/black... to each his own.... u can even get it in all green :ugh2:
    [​IMG]

8. Jefferson Darcy

link?

9. Jefferson Darcy

oh i looked at the ed browns too... and they look real nice but I dont like that "slip fit" thing where you have to permanently set your own rear sight's windage with some loctite and a set screw. I like how the wilsons come already sighted in and with a target showing what its capable of.

10. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

http://www.signaturegrade.com/

Tell him you're on the job when you email, i imagine he'll probably bump you up the list if you're interested.

The gray wilson/micarta would be hotness too though. :naughty:

11. Jefferson Darcy

I'm also looking into an Ed Brown, most likely the Kobra

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the only thing I dont like with the Ed browns tho is the "slip fit" system thing where you have to set the (fixed) sight yourself.

12. smell my finger

you'd probobly have to wait a lot longer if you ordered an ed brown.

13. Jefferson Darcy

like how much longer?

whats the average wait times for the two guns?

EDIT: Ed brown guarantees 90 day delivery :dunno:

Oh well, the thing that troubles me the most is the sight thing.... oh well I could always have the NYPD gunsmiths do it for free.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  14. Jefferson Darcy

Just sent out my order form and deposit for an all stainless Ed Brown Kobra (the one pictured above) :) :) :) :) :)

$2290 with 2 extra mags and night sites and shipping :eek3:

90 days :x:

15. smell my finger

:cool:

i didnt know they could turn them around as quickly as 90 days. nice choice

16. Jefferson Darcy

:) yea it says guaranteed within 90 days on the site... When I called they said 60-90, I dont really expect it in less than 90 tho.

I went with the Brown cuz I read up on the 1911forum.com and that seemed to have the best reviews. Seems more "custom" than a Wilson too. Plus I like stainless and Ed Brown has the nicest looking stainless....

Still not thrilled about the "slip fit" set your own fixed sights thing, but I'll deal with it.