Will this work?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FyreDaug, Feb 9, 2006.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

I plan on temporarily setting up a 5.1 system in my apartment for my computer.

Computer output will be optical to a home theater amp. So lets assume this start AT the h/t yamaha amp.

Front speaker outputs will go to my mbquart speakers, which works properly.
    Center output will go to a B&W speaker that will act as a center.

Now the tricky part, Ive got 2 speakers and another 2channel boombox amp, the 2 speakers have a high AND low inputs. The high being the 1" tweet and 2.5" speaker, and the low being a 6.5" bass speaker. So I will plug the highs into the rear of the yamaha H/T amp but not connecting the lows at all at this point. I think they are 4 or 6 ohm (maybe 8?) for the high input so I KNOW it will work fine on the amp, and ill be able to supply them with a little more than the 50w they were getting before for the highs... Anyways, fast forward and summarize. Front and center are hooked up fine, the rears (highs) are being powered by the rear of the amp and the SUB out will be a thick RCA cable going to the original boombox amp that the speakers came with. Except only the lows will be connected to it, and it will be powering the 6.5's as subs (which sound pretty clear for bass... its an apartment so its not gonna be loud)

Now for the question, lets assume it all works fine (because I dont see any reason why it wont) except my sub out is a mono line and the input of the amp is l/r. as are the speaker outputs. Can I wire both of those 6.5's in parallel (reducing impedance in half, assume it was 4ohm each before, and now in parallel its 2ohm. Would this amp be able to supply a 2ohm load of I bridged it? + of L and - of R when the mono input goes to the L input (leaving R open)

Is that clear enough? I hope it is anyways, another option I have to get both "subs" to work are to get an RCA female in to dual male output and just plug them in like it should, both RCA's L/R and the speker output L/R +/- respectively. Assuming I dont have an RCA splitter right now, lets try to get the first idea to work... without blowign the amp up.

EDIT: Other possibly relevant information. The sub out of the amp has an internal cut off frequency, which regulates the difference between which speakers get what freq's. If I turn cut off freq to 60hz, all speakers will get 60hz+ and the sub out will get <60hz. Same with 100hz, its pretty cool.

Also, currently I have nothing liek this hooked up, besides the mbq's and center hooked up to the said amp. Ill probably try this when I get home after job#2 tonight just to see if it works.

And another quick Q, if *any* 2 channel amp is capable of 4ohm per channel it should have no problem doing 2ohm bridged correct? I dont wanna blow stuff up :eek3:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  2. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

i got kinda lost lol but any 2 channel amp is not gonna be able to do 2ohm bridged... It can do 8ohm bridged. You need a 2 channel amp that can do 1ohm per channel to do 2ohm bridged

3. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Oh so Ive got it backwards then? I should get the rca splitter then? Its only like 3 bucks but I figured Id try to save it

4. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

i dunno lol. All i know is that if the amp is stable in X ohm stereo it is stable in 2X mono

a y splitter should be fine. Draw a picture or something hehe we ain't smart here

5. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

ARG trying again

[​IMG]

imageshack raped my image, but you get the jist, if its a yellow frog, click it and it should work