SRS Will things ever get better?(anonymous thread)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Darketernal, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I'm 19 and my whole life has been depressing. I have no girl friend and right now I just live off my parents:wtc:. It makes me feel like shit. I'm lazy and all but I don't mind working hard when its something I enjoy I just haven't found anything I enjoy. I found one thing I enjoyed but the employment oppertunites are dead for it.

I've suffered 19 years of being unhappy and I'm just really doubtful its going to get better. I don't know what I should do. I'm in therapy but the depression is just overwhelming. I also have ocd and even though i'm really smart I have a learning disability which holds me back alot.

And to add to the not doing anything in life my parents and brothers are really sucessful and I feel like i'll never be able to amount to what they have.

I see all these other people around me with parents who own business and they take the business over or learn the trade from a family friend but i don't have those oppertuinties and i have other friends that are extremely smart and are going to really good schools.

I just don't know what i'm going to do because I only have a month before my parents are really going to crack down on me which i don't blame them for but I've already worked all these shitty teenage jobs and refuse to work another one of them again. I feel like I rather just be done with life then work another shitty job. I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a depression for this long and actually ended up living a happy life.

thanks for any advice

2. 7960

7960 New Member

My sister had depression and finally found the right med(s) to help her...she's now genuinely happy (and sometimes sad, but not in an overwhelming way) and she doesn't feel lethargic and she's not in a fog all day.....

If you're not on meds ask your therapist if you might need something. If you are on meds you may be on the wrong one. Most important, keep trying!! Feeling like you do is not normal and can be helped.

3. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I finally started to have motivation to get shit right in my life after I got on Ativan. It helped me, it could help you.

4. Darketernal

I've been on every med you can think of and had bad side effects. i'm on prozac and occasionally xanax but it still doesnt help.(anonymous reply)

5. lifer

lifer New Member

being positive goes a long way. at times it feels like you're just trying to fool yourself. and in away you are. but the results are that things start to look a little better. just say thanks out loud for the things that make you crack a smile and soon you'll find out just how many things make you feel good.

believe me, i've been a depressed teenager most my life and recently i've only start to feel like life has potential.

6. 7960

7960 New Member

Have you tried a new doctor? Maybe you've hit the wall with the one you're seeing and need to try someone new, with different ideas and a new/renewed willingness to help.

7. bigbluesky

bigbluesky New Member

Do you have any hobbies? I have never been diagnosed with anything relating to depression but whenever I recognise the symptoms within myself I try and channel it into something creative. Personally, I paint. I think if you find a therapeutic activity for yourself, or just something that brings you comfort, you may see things improve. Though i realise money may be an issue, travelling can also help in situations and mindsets like these.

8. shawshank

shawshank New Member

go to college live on campus

9. Alenon12

Alenon12 Save the cheerleader....save the world

you shouldnt need meds in your life, dont listen to anyone that tells you that you do. What you described is similar to what happens to a great many people in life. You have no sense of direction and you feel you need one. Perhaps you see others around you that seem like they got their shit straight and it just makes it all the more depressing.

All you need is a change in lifestyle. You dont necessarily have to go to college and get a degree. Hell in my state hardly anyone goes to college cause you start off on the oilrigs age 18 at 20$ an hour and 30 years later you're making 900$ a day.

When i was 19 i had a similar realization as you did. I moved from North dakota to texas spur of the moment thinking it'd help me get back on track. I only got big into drugs and trouble. I finally cracked and joined the air force thinking i had to do something and fast. Honestly was the best choice i ever made to turn my life around. I did my 6 years and have since got out, moved back to my hometown and work at a job here. But that changed my life for the better and id hate to think what it'd be like if i hadnt done that.

Now maybe the miltary isnt for you but any sort of lifestyle change, specially a drastic one like that, just might be what you need.

10. 7960

7960 New Member

There are 9 posts and apparently you didn't even bother to read the title.

Why did you post here?

11. Darketernal

thanks for posting this for me. I love this forum I get such good advice.

That is a big part of the problem. I have a negitive outlook on everything. Is there anyway to change that? I've changed for like a week but then go back to my old ways.

I've been to many different doctors. I usually quit because they don't listening to what i'm saying they just get out the rx pad and write me some drugs that cause me to have bad side effects, I have a great therapist who I don't see nearly enough (my parents dont think its worth the money to go alot)

I am learning disabled and would be lucky to pass community college lol

Yeah I don't think the miltary is for me. But I do understand what your saying about not needing a degree. The job I wanted actually didn't need a degree just this training which i failed at. I'm just having a hard time finding something to do that doesn't require a degree