MIL will the usaf take me if

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by staticflo, Jan 25, 2006.

1. staticflo

staticflo Guest

I have a misdemeanor DUI on my record. i have already talked to Navy recruiters and took a practice ASVAB test and got a high score. they told me they would accept me and could possibly have any job i want because of such a good score, they were trying to push me towards advance placement studies but the schooling is like 6 yrs or soemthing. they said the only thing it might hinder is getting top secret clearance on things. which im not worried about. also whats the minimum amount of yrs i can join for the usaf and the navy? i forget what the recruiter told me for the navy. im not to worried about my clearance i just wanna do me 3 or 4 yrs have a good experience and have someone pay for my college.

2. burton564

burton564 New Member

i don't know about the Air Force cause they are kinda picky these days about who they take. I know that the Army has waivers for everything, so i don't see why the AF wouldn't.

3. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I can almost guarante you that there is no school in the Navy that is 6 years long. The longest I know of is ~2 years long, and thats the nuke school.

4. staticflo

staticflo Guest

maybe im wrong, are you familiar with the advance placement schooling? i cant remember what they said the minimum amt of yrs you have to sign up for so i couldve confused this as well. i spoke with the recruiter a while ago.

5. Zourn

I don't know what "advance placement school" is.
    I searched a little bit and I don't know if you're talking about the Navy CASH (College Assistance/Student Headstart) Program, or the minimum enlistment of 6 years into the nuke field due to the ~2 years of school.

6. staticflo

staticflo Guest

i dunno ill look at the brochures i have, plus im sure i will talk to the recruiters again im waiting to meet with the AF recruiter and there in the same bldg so ill pay a visit back to the navy recruiters and try to make up my damn mind.

7. Zourn

You should just figure out something you enjoy doing and tell the Navy then AF recruiter, "I like doing ______, what job would you reccomend?"
    Then check back in with us.

8. staticflo

staticflo Guest

the problem is i dont know what i REALLY enjoy doing. if i joined the navy i would want to be on an air craft carrier somewhere on deck doing some cool shit. and if i went AF i wanna work on planes or do something where i get to travel.

9. Zourn

Well, i mean it can be something as simple as "I like working on engines" "I like cooking" "I like healing people" "I like directing traffic" "I like guarding people/things" "I like building things" "I like to blow shit up" and just build from there

10. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

• Air Force will probably not take you.
    • The 6 year question probably relates to a minimum enlistment for a specific job, since the Navy would have to invest significant $$ in you over the course of a couple of years. But the DUI conviction might knock you out of that job due to security clearance issues.
    • As was mentioned, you should have an idea of what career or skills you want, and then approach your job selection with those things in mind. Otherwise you may find yourself signing a contract for open enlistment and becoming something you detest and being locked in to it with no good way out.

11. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Depends on where he lives. If his recruiter is "motivated" enough the AF will take him. The recruiter has a lot of discretion. He just has to get past the MEPS recruiter.

12. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

This is the first time I've heard that.

13. staticflo

staticflo Guest

damn, i was afraid they wouldnt take me. i guess ill just have to see. if not Navy here i come!

14. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

It makes sense if you think about it. If a recruiter needs to meet his quota, he may push for some floks to get waivered.

15. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

you can get in air force with a dui but it has to have been at least 6 months since the dui OR 6 months since you were off corrective action, took any classes ect