Will not boot with RAID card attached.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gob, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Gob

Gob Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore do OT Supporter

I've had this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118015 installed in my server for the last couple of months, it had been working fine. The RAID card is running 3 drives that just hold data. The OS drive is not attached. I shut it down to clean out the case and zip tie some wiring the behind the case. When I went to start it up I get an error message that tells me to insert the boot disk. Pull the RAID card and it boots right up. I know there is probably something simple I'm just not seeing, what should I be checking?

Seems like the BIOS is looking to boot from the RAID drive rather than the stand alone but I'll be damned if I can figure out why all of a sudden it is doing this.

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

have you checked the hard drive boot priority? make sure the raid card isn't set to first.

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Yeah check boot priority; but it wouldn't shock me to hear that the RAID card failed. I've dealt with a TON of those LSI cards (WebBIOS SUCKS!) and they do have a fairly high tendency of failure in my experience.

4. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

A dead card shouldn't cause the problems the OP is having. I do agree that the WebBIOS isn't the best, but what can you expect, internal storage isn't exactly LSI's main priority).

5. Gob

Gob Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore do OT Supporter

I'll double check it in the BIOS, but I'm pretty sure that was one of the first things I looked for. If I recall correctly, when the RAID card was attached I wasn't able to see the boot drive at all in the BIOS. I'll look again when enough people are gone that I can shut it down for a while.