Will new software that is written for the apple-tel work the same on our old macs?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Yardsale, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

This might be a stupid question, so after it is answered I might delete the thread in shame :o

2. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

if i understand correctly, all the new software will be written in whats called a "universal binary" which means when installing, you just pick the chipset you have and go from there. in essence, it will be written for both on the same disc.

3. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

you dont even have to pick which chipset. though perhaps it will be an option to reduce the file size in some cases.

4. LiekOMG

LiekOMG New Member

Jenna Jameson's School of the "Performing Arts"
    Yes and no. If the app is correctly programmed to be cross platform (both PPC and x86), then yes, they will run with no problem. However, I have a feeling that there will be a number of apps that people port over from windows and are too lazy or just don't know how to port over to PPC. Thus, there might be a number of programs that run find on x86 macs, but won't run on PPC macs. Games specifically come to mind.

5. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

its as simple as checking a box in xtools to compile a universal binary.
    I expect that the vast majority of apps will be universal for several years after the complete switch to intel hardware. we'll see about the games though.

I am however, less confident about the PPC emulation on intel Macs.
    IMO, buying a PPC mac now/soon is a better choice than jumping on the intel hw right away.

6. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

Thanks for the replies :x:

7. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

it should be a familiar experience for those who were mac users back in the 680x0->ppc days. basically, applications are "fat"...so it will appear as a normal app but function as a package containing ppc and intel friendly versions, the proper one being launched as necessary whether you're on an intel or ppc mac. this was a PITA back in the days when hard drives weren't quite so large, but since software isn't the hard drive hog any more, no big deal....

that reply was much longer than it should have been