Will my shoulder dislocate without warning sending a dumbbell in to my face?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TFunkadelic, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

So awhile back I dislocated my shoulder badly while playing basketball. At the time I was lifting and exercising regularly and in overall good shape and after a month or so it didn't bother me a whole lot. I stopped weight lifting after the injury and became occupied with other things, and essentially let my physical health go.

Over time as my muscles weakened my shoulder started to feel looser and looser, until it would slide around in the socket if I were to lay on that side in bed. Starting about 2 months ago, I began lifting again to get my shoulder in to somewhat decent shape again and I've been gradually working my way back in to heavier lifts. Sometimes when I'm doing things like DB flat/incline presses it feels like my shoulder is somewhat weak and it will make popping/cracking noises, but it never hurts beyond normal muscle burn. I do a variety of rotator cuff specific exercises as well and on the whole my shoulder feels MUCH improved.

However, is it possible that my shoulder will one day give out with warning in the middle of a press or other lift, or will there be signs of danger prior to catastrophe? :noes:

2. Rumbaar

Rumbaar Inherent Omniscience OT Supporter

Anything is possible. Your arm could give out and let the db hit you in the head, I've had it happen.

If you're that worried use a 'hammer strength' machine that is fixed for your shoulder presses. Then have no worries of dropping the weight and it hitting you.

3. strubbe

strubbe New Member

That actually happened to me a couple of years ago. Went for one rep too many after my shoulder started feeling weak, and it just gave out. Luckily the db just dropped to the floor. Kinda :rofl:/:wtc: at the same time.

I dislocated both shoulders multiple times while playing football in high school, so they're still kinda fucked up.

4. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

my tricep failed me once during flat db in the middle of a set and it fell on my chest. i wasn't even at muscle failure, my left tricep just randomly let go. :dunno:

i was able to do next set no problem, and it hasn't happened since.

5. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

reminds me of my injury. Incline DB Pressing and my left arm got a little shaky, gave out and came crashing down and across over to my right shoulder (stilll holding the weight, cause i'm a dumbass) and it hasn't been the same since.

6. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

dislocated mine on overhead BB press, still had the strength to squat is down to the safety pins

7. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

fuck dude

8. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

Thanks for the replies.

It seems like when this happens you maintain enough control to guide the weight away from your face/dodge it. I guess I'll just hope for the best and press on. Chronic instability (I've dislocated it a few times since the initial injury) blows, and I'd rather take my chances continuing to strengthen it than to settle for that shit.

9. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

No that shit will fall in what motion and speed gravity wants it to fall at.

Talking to somone who had his shoulder sublax 5times in one workout

10. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

why would you continue working out after your shoulder sublaxing the first time?

11. ralyks

ralyks New Member

BECAUSE HE'S HAAARDCOOOOORE.

Yes, it can happen. Thankfully the few times it's happened to me it hit my shoulder and fell to the floor. It's sad to say, but if you have a bad shoulder, don't push it too much. If that means not getting 100% out of that workout/exercise then so be it. Let your shoulder live to fight another day.

Sure, putting up a lot of weight is cool, but for hypertrophy purposes just substitute anything that may injure you with another exercise that doesn't hurt.

Hit up the facepulls/rotator exercises more. Overhead shrugs are supposed to be real good for your shoulders. The few times I did them, a 35lb barbell was enough to really feel it around my shoulders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.