will i get a noticable difference if i change my system drive to SATA?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Apr 18, 2006.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i currently have a 60 gb maxtor pata 133 drive as my system drive. i don't play games at all. also, i like my pc to be very quiet.
    if i switch to a sata drive, a 7200 rpm model, will i notice a difference in speed at all?
    only processor intensive thing i do is copy dvds...so i'm thinking the encoding phase would take a little less time with an sata drive
    i have an amd athlon 64 3000+ with 2 sticks of 512mb ram

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

unless you have a need to replace that drive, stick with it.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

No.

4. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

No you will not notice a big difference.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

SATA has one big feature, called Native Command Queuing, that will boost your computer's disk speed at least a little under any and all conditions. NCQ lets the drive decide for itself what the most efficient order is to fill multiple requests for data, which saves precious milliseconds by not making the readers jump wildly across the surfaces of the drive platters. It also reduces the infernal clicking noises that hard drives make, incidentally.

As for actual sustained transfer speed, only a faster-spinning drive will improve that, and only if you keep it well-defragmented.

6. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

You wont notice a big difference but you mobo probably doesnt support SATA if you have a PATA drive right now. From what Ive seen its one or the other, but I could be wrong :dunno:

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have 2 ide channels and 2 sata

i'll hold off on the sata drive and buy one when they are super cheap like the ide's are now

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If you really want to boost disk performance, get a 150GB WD Raptor. Some people say they're noisy but I don't think they're bad at all.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Depends how resonant your case is. A package of noise-absorbing foam liner is a good way to cut down the noise.

10. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

1st. The SATA chipset has to support NCQ to take advantage of it. 1st.& 2nd. generation WD Raptors (all36gb and 1st.gen 72gb) did not have NCQ and most SATA NORTHBRIDGE chipsets do NOT HAVE NCQ....

2nd. NCQ does not help or really does help at all in the desktop enviroment. It has been proven (don't even make me start to post links) and really degrades performance when activated (especially on the new Raptor 150's and Seagate 400/500's)

3rd. NCQ is at home and really best in the SERVER enviroment when I/O usage is HIGH because THAT WHAT NCQ DOES !!! and is meant for. Large I/O and RAID transfer request/sec. It's where NCQ came from, the SCSI world... and will stay that way.

4th. NCQ will really not help quiet the drive down AT ALL !!! If the data is at point "A", and you have to get to point "B", NCQ is not going to magically make the 2 locations "CLOSER" together :rolleyes: ...

In the end... SATA will do nothing really for this boy and NCQ does nothing really for the mass desktop market...

/END

11. m2e

m2e OT Supporter

/ = end

therefore you said endend :eek4: