Will games be easier to port with x86 chips?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ubisquo, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Ubisquo

Ubisquo New Member

And, if so, will i be shooting myself in the throat if i was to get a G5 iMac? I'm quite happy without the gaming front, as i was aware of that when i switched.

But, if i get a G5, only for a few months later see a bunch of people going "omg, xxxx game is AWESOME".. i'll regret it. The stuff i've read makes me think that all the software will be dual platform (ppc and x86) for the foreseeable future.. will this hold true in practicality? The new lineups are all looking tempting, but if it's going to limit the future software options, i'll hold off.

Ideas/opinions?

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

if gaming is truly that important to you, i'd rather stay with a windows box.

3. Skoles

Skoles Guest

It's still a different architecture to program for. It's not like OSX w/Intel chips will suddenly start using .dll's & other Windows style programming.

4. fishyhell

fishyhell muscle68>catholic school children

but in theory you will be able to dual boot.

Two seperate partitions one with windows one with OS X and you should be good for gaming.

5. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Assuming Windows recognizes the Mac motherboard & components.

6. kawasakiguy37

kawasakiguy37 New Member

Wait till you can dual boot for sure

7. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

I think the key to seeing gaming improve on MacTels is going to be dual booting. If you can dual boot to Windows easily and the MacTels have good performance under Windows (no reason to think they won't) then that's the way to go for gaming.

8. rpark

rpark New Member

wine should become compatible after the intel chips are in.. no?

9. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

I wouldn't be so sure just yet. While the Intel based Macs are supposedly going to be x86 based, they may have completely differant mother boards, controllers, and a way of adressing the processors and it's componants. They may not even dual boot with Win/XP. Then there is the very good possiblity that they may not even use anything from the Pentium line.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The leaked developer's versions can be dual booted. Stands to reason that the normal ones will be too.

11. Ubisquo

Ubisquo New Member

Wise to wait then, methinks.

Gaming isn't a deciding issue for me, pechango (if it were, i wouldn't have a Mac). But if there's a chance it's going to make it possible to run them, i'll take it. I do miss gaming, but not enough to make me give up OSX. If dual booting is a possibility, i'll wait (though the idea of going back to Windows makes me go 'ick' :p).

12. LiekOMG

LiekOMG New Member

Jenna Jameson's School of the "Performing Arts"
    There was an entire long interview done with several game programmers about what the transition to x86 means to gamers. Basically, for the most part, porting will be MORE difficult for the next few years because designers have to port to both PPC and x86 processors, which in turn will double their work load. What remains to be seen is if developers will just say "screw it" and release x86 only versions of their games for Mac and just phase out the PPC side as quickly as possible.