A&P Will digital point and shoots ever replace DSLRs?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by coughlin's law, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Looking at the G10 has got me thinking... there's a full customizable options menu that is nearly identical to the DSLRs, and a RAW mode... how much further can they go after this?

Will a P&S ever match that of an DSLR? I suppose it's the photographer holding the camera... but it couldn't hurt...

2. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

A DSLR today might be matched (for a certain focal length) by a P&S 5-10 years from the future, but I doubt they'll ever be replaced.

3. derekOT

derekOT New Member

I think P and S get better and better but still can't come close to full size DSLR's

We can even look at the current SLR's, APS-C sensors are getting better and better cannot match larger full frame sensors. If APS-C cannot match full frame how can a P and S match?

4. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

Photography is all about light. A P&S cannot take in nearly as much light as an SLR.

DSLRS have MUCH larger sensors, interchangeable lenses, large aperatures, and just more glass(redundant). I just can't see how a P&S could ever replace an SLR.

Imagine how painful it would be to utilize all the buttons/knobs of an XXD series camera into a P&S.

5. johan

johan Active Member

dslrs will get smaller, p&s will become more functional, and/or larger, due to, if nothing else the size of fingers and hands.

people used to laugh at 35mm format for professional use. Back in the day, serious = view. maybe 6x6.
    sensors will get better. Look up black silicon.

Eventually technology will march on. It's inevitable, but also, in a way, irrelevant.

6. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Ever... like in 100 years? Maybe.

Images out of a G10 still look like a P&S to me, as opposed to clean DSLR images, or even film. Sure it has more adjustments and whatnot, but any way you slice it, the images that come out of it at anything over ISO 200 are still noisy as hell. That's what is going to continue to hold back compacts until a better small sensor is devised, and since with any current tech the limitations are down to the laws of physics, I wouldn't expect that to happen anytime soon.

7. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks