Will different box types yield better sound in a truck?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by infinitbird, Mar 31, 2004.

1. infinitbird

infinitbird New Member

I have a 98 dakota ext cab and im trying to figure out if there is a certain type of box that will perform better in a smaller space like a truck as opposed to an suv or in the trunk of a car?

I have 1 audiobahn alum12 in a 1cubic foot sealed box with the sub firing towards the back of the truck. Its like im to close to the sub for it to sound right.

any suggestions?

2. 04

04 Guest

generally in smaller sized cars, a smaller sealed box yields the flattest frequency response (If thats what you are looking for). However, the box you have now would fit this criteria.

What exactly are you finding lacking in the sound?

3. infinitbird

infinitbird New Member

The bass doesn't have that real tight kick at low frequencies. Its hard to put into words really. Its like if I had this same box and setup in the trunk of a car it would sound cleaner because it takes a little longer to get to your ears and the trunk gets rid of some of the muddiness(i think thats the word im looking for)

4. Danno

Danno Bronx Poodle OT Supporter

You sure it just isn't the sub? Audiobahns aren't really know for their tight, clean bass.

5. 04

04 Guest

The trunk might remove some of the higher bass frequencies, and that may be what you are hearing. It doesnt have anything to do with how far away it is from your ears.

It sounds to me like you would want to place the woofer in a larger enclosure. Or you may even want to port the enclosure (you'd have to make a larger one though).

6. infinitbird

infinitbird New Member

I know audiobahn is more looks than anything else, but I always heard good things about the aluminum q series, like a budget version of the eclipse aluminums.

Would a larger sealed enclosure like 1.5 - 2.0 cubic feet give me harder hitting bass with losing the sq, or can I port or vent the box and still keep the sq. I've built plenty of sealed boxes but I dont have any experience with what ported and vented boxes sound like.

7. 04

04 Guest

You could make either a larger sealed box or a vented one. The vented box will have more low frequency output around it's tuning frequency, so if that is what you are missing, it may work well for you. However the larger sealed box will do the same thing, but you will also loose some higher frequency bass output.

8. infinitbird

infinitbird New Member

At what frequency will i start hearing less bass in the upper range. Right now I have it crossed over at around 80 and I dont think I would miss anything from about 60 to 80hz. Any good websites that show how to build vented boxes. I don't know how to build a box to a tuned frequency.

also thanks for all the help :bigthumb:

9. ixlr8

ixlr8 New Member

Jl Audio Stealth Box's are really good. But they come with the sub but they are pretty expensive.

10. Mr. KatSS

Mr. KatSS Guest

For an extended cab truck, try building a ported box, with both the sub and port firing up. Try and keep the sub closer to the back of your seat and the port as close to the back wall as possible.

11. infinitbird

infinitbird New Member

So you think it would sound best with the sub pointed up towards the roof with the port on the same side as the woofer?

I checked audiobahns website and they say for an "everyday bass performer" that a 2.5 cubic foot box with a 4" x 7.25" port would work best. Does this sound about right?

12. 04

04 Guest

The port usually operates at such a low frequency that I don't see how placing it so close to a boundry will affect it's output much...

Unless of course you tune the system to 70hz or something.

13. 04

04 Guest

You will have to experiment with box positioning to find the best sound you like. The cabin of a truck is pretty small though, so placement shouldnt affect things too much. As for the port, you can pretty much place it anywhere you want as long as it has plenty of room around the opening.

What model number is your woofer again?

14. infinitbird

infinitbird New Member

Its an audiobahn alum12q. Should the port and the woofer be on the same side? Because if i point the woofer into the back seat I'm worried that the port may be blocked and wont let enough air out. Plus i don't want to have to build a new box when I find out it doesn't work right.

15. 04

04 Guest

Place the port where it wont be blocked. Also, try and keep it at least the diameter of the port's distance away from the wall of the enclosure and the end of the port.

16. infinitbird

infinitbird New Member

I have one last quick question. I'm in the middle of building the box and trying to find a local store that sells ports but the only one in town has 2"x5" and 4"x5" ports. Audiobahn specifies 1 4"x7.7" port for this specific box, however they have a port calculator that specifies that with 2 2"x3.5" will work as well. Does that seem right? I wanna get these ports today so that I can install them. Do you guys think 2 2"x3.5" ports will work in place of just one 4"x7.5" port?

17. 04

04 Guest

No, 2 2" diameter ports would not be large enough if the specify at least a single 4" port.

I would suggest going down to home depot or lowes and buy a section of 4" diameter water pipe and then cutting it down to the correct length with a hacksaw. Then use sandpaper to get the surfaces flat and smooth. If you have a router and a roundover bit, you can then flare the edge of the port against the box.

18. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

just make the port out of scrap mdf...